• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

On Medical Leave and Company refusing to provide health insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mrich2

I am in the state of Michigan and went on short term disability in February 2003. At first my company was paying and providing for my health insurance. Now since it looks like i will be going on long term disability through my companies provider. They are now requiring me to take a cobra for my health insurance. I am still currently employed through them and am still receiving holiday pay as well.

Is this legal to cancel my health insurance for myself and my family? or is there a way to make them still carry the insurance for us? I am under continuous medical care and need this insurance to continue on the road to recovery. what can i do?

Beth3

Your employer only had a legal obligation to continue your health insurance for the first 12 weeks of your leave, assuming your leave time fell under the FMLA. (If you make a contribution to the premium via payroll deduction, they can also have required you to make your normal contribution during those 12 weeks if they wished to.) After the 12 weeks are up, they may end the company's contribution towards your health insurance and offer you COBRA continuation, which allows you to continue the existing plan by paying the full monthly premium.

Yes, what your company did was legal. No, there is no way to force them to continue to pay for your health insurance. You do have an option to take coverage just for yourself (rather than a family plan) if you wish.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">