• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MN address.NE address/policy change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bowler87

What is the name of your state? Nebraska
Living in MN I paid for a individual disability policy for six years.
Then I moved to Nebraska.
4 Years later had a claim. The claim is denied based on policy language that was added to policy AFTER I moved to NE.
Company maintains that my policy changed from FORM 1 to
FORM 2 because I changed addresses from one state to another!

I want them to use the original written policy to administer my claim. They refuse.

No punitive damages are available in Nebraska.

Are punitive damages available in MN?

ALawyer

Although it may be inconvenient and expensive for you, in theory you could sue the company not only where YOU live, but in its home state and probably, with a clever lawyer, the state in which the policy was issued.

I am totally baffled as to how a company can unilaterally purport to change a policy that was issued and outstanding absent some provision in the policy permitting it to do so. In disability there traditionally have been 2 types of policies -- non-cancellable and guaranteed renewable. Are you sure this was done unilaterally? Or might you have accepted the revised language in exhange for different provisions or lower rates, or (if it was a GR policy) a lower rate increase?

I am not up to date on what states "allow" punitive damages and which do not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">