• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Father Passed, StepMother silent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ceholland2

My Father passed away from complications on a Heart Transplant 4/10/10 BACKGROUND - He divorced my mother in 1980ish, leaving my mother, my brother, and myself to fend for ourselves in Alabama as he Resided in Georgia at that time. He was shortly remarried to a very unkind spoiled little rich girl type woman and thus conceived my Half-Brother, Half-Sister and I Aquired a Step-Sister from the Marriage. Child Support was seldom paid but my mother never took him to court to enforce. When I was 14 I saw my Dad for the 1st time since the divorce. He never called or made any form of communication prior to this. We stayed a few days with him. He was very well off and My Brother and I were on well-fair most our live and even though I was 14 I remember being Hurt as my new Half-Brother and Half-Sister had everything they needed and then some. My Question is. Are my Brother and I entitled to any Life Insurance, Property, or ANYTHING since my Fathers death and memorial in North Carolina? My step-mom and I do NOT talk so I know this is not going to be easy. He passed away 4-6-10 and I am 34 and also the oldest of 4 siblings. --Charles H.

ecmst12

You are only entitled to life insurance if there was a policy naming you as the beneficiary. You need to find out if there was a will. If your mother chose not to enforce child support, that is her choice and none of your business as the money was never and will never be owed to YOU.

Dandy Don

How old are you now? Check at the county courthouse probate court (most counties now have information about probate court filings online now where you can check by the name of the decedent) to see if anyone has opened up probate yet. You can order a copy of the will if there is one, but you are probably not named as a beneficiary since it seems he didn't care that much for you. IF probate has been opened, then talk to someone at the child support office to see if there is a verifiable record of unpaid, past-due child support that is still due and payable. If it is still due and payable, the child support office can help you or your mother file a claim for this money since it is an outstanding debt that the estate is supposed to pay for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">