• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

newborn health coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eschaeffer

are there any federal laws that say that an insurance company must cover a newborn for the first 30 days of life
in the state of virginia, in the virginia insurance law supplement(38.2-3411) says they must cover the newborn from the moment of birth for 30 days, then it is up to me to add her to my insurance so that the coverage will continue, i did not know i had to add her, but my benifit company say they do not go by state law, they go by federal law

R

rrg956

Your description of your situation is a little fuzzy. It sounds like your child is more than 30 days old in which case it would not matter if there was a federal law mandating coverage for the first 30 days of your baby's life.

While I am not a constitution expert, I am fairly certain that if your insurance company is doing business in your state then they are governed first by State law, not Federal law. The only exception to this rule is when the insurance company is in some way affiliated with the Federal Goverment.

THE FOREGOING MAY NOT BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

G

g_dawg

It depends on whether your insurance is governed as a "state of issuance" (meaning them) or "state of residence" (meaning you)policy as to what state mandates they have to follow. Insofar as their comment about being governed by federal law, I haven't the slightest idea what they're talking about unless you work for the feds. State law supersedes federal in these cases, in any regard.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">