• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

responsible party for insurance bills after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cynthia Best

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state?

georgia

my husband has 2 children from a previous marriage, she has full custody but he pays for insurance coverage for them, which is in the divorce agreement.. the question is who would be responsible if the ex wife takes them to a doctor? the actual bill itself has been signed for by the ex wife. when she takes them to an out of network provider our insurance does not cover

ShyCat

What exactly does the divorce decree state? If it says he pays for medical insurance and co-pays and any uncovered medical expenses, then that's what he pays. On the other hand, if it says he pays for medical insurance period, then anything not paid by the insurance would seem to be covered by his child support.

C

Cynthia Best

Thank you ShyCat, I pulled the Divorce documents out and that helped. Thank you so much for your prompt and curteous advice.

kat1963

Since he is providing insurance & she isn't using it, I would refuse to pay those bills. Let her take him to court. There is a very good chance she will end up being held responsible for the entire bill. In addition, if she's having the bills sent to him from the doctor, send them back. He didn't sign for treatment or promise to pay, they can not legally bill him.
Good Luck!
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">