• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retroactively cancelled health insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gklig

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
Upon calling my insurance company to verify some coverage on March 5, I was informed that our insurance had been cancelled as of Feb 12, 2003, retroactive to December 1, 2002! And that I am now liable for costs incurred during that period! This
is coverage through an employer that has since sold the business. No notification was given. Thank-you for your time.

C

CIAA

It sounds as if your employer failed to pay the premium. You should still have the right to appeal. You should also contact the US DEPT. of Labor as they are responsible for making sure that the premiums are handled properly. It may be that you are only entitled to a reffund of premiums you paid, that were not sent to the insurance company.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Quick point: in Massachusetts, if a group policy is cancelled for non-payment of premium, the insurance carrier is required to notify every member of the group that their employer has not paid the premiums and therefore the insurance will be cancelled. This notification has to go out three days before the cancellation actually takes place. And believe me, they do it.

So even though cancellation for non-payment sounds like a reasonable response (and I agree that based on the dates that seems like the most likely response), unless the poster received a notification that they failed to open, that's probably not the answer.

gklig, you might want to call the insurance company back and ask them whether the coverage was cancelled by your employer or if it was for non-payment. If it was for non-payment and the carrier did not send out the required notifications, that's a different spin on who becomes liable than if the employer cancelled the policy without notifying the employees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">