• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

short term disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

40blt

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
I am collecting worker comp but the short term disability was present to us through my employer but my employer is not paying the premium or any part of the premium Iam paying the entire premium weekly which come to 41.12 a month. When I called my employer dept of personnel she asked me if I have file a claim already and I said no because I called to have a claim sent to me and the person said that is common practice she said that shed will call again and ask 2 days passed by and shed called me saying that she will send me a claim form but they will not pay me the amount that I sign in for that they will give me less amount. I waited 2 days for the claim to arrive in the mail never came I called my employer again and she said to me that she was not sure that she will called them again after she already called them. I asked her if she has a copy of the policy she told me no I called the insurance person and he told me your employer has it. I belive that they dont want me to see the policy which is my right. they just want me to go back to work which I will be in a week and forget the whole thing.
Thank your for your promp response.

40blt

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm going to say this again.

It doesn't matter who is paying the premium. If you are collecting workers comp benefits you are NOT entitled to collect short term disability benefits as well. You are entitled to see a copy of the plan and CIAA has explained how to get help with that. But when you do see it you are going to see that you cannot collect STD benefits and workers comp as well. No one is trying to cheat you.

It doesn't matter who is paying the premium. It doesn't matter how many times you post the question. It doesn't matter who you talk to. The answer is always going to be the same. You do not get to collect workers comp and STD both. You get one or the other. Period.

Beth3

If your employer refuses to give you a copy of the plan document for your STD benefits, which legally they must provide, then you can file a complaint with the federal DOL.

But as cbg says, it doesn't matter how many times you post the same question. You CANNOT collect STD benefits from an employer-sponsored disbility plan if your injury is work related and you are collecting W.C. It doesn't matter who is paying for the premium.

I'm starting to assume the injury that has temporarily disabled you was a bonk on the head.

If you had PRIVATE disabilty insurance, you *might* be able to collect. But not from an employer-sponsored plan.

Got it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">