• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son is Sole Beneficiary can his Fathers Wife (not his mom) Contest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PennyK

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN but Dad lived in Arizona

My Husbands Father just died and my husband found out that he was the Sole Beneficiary of a Life insurance policy. He did not know that he was and was very surprised as my husband was under the impression that everything was going to his fathers wife (not my husbands mother).

Question is: Can this new wife contest the Insurance policy sole beneficiary designation?

To explain further. The Ins Policy originally had my husbands Mother (Joan) listed, but she died, his father remarried and then listed his new wife (Pat), When the Insurance Company contacted my husband they said that he (Alan) had been named sole beneficiary as signed by his Dad back in June 2004 and there has been no changes since although it had shown the previous changes of his mother and 2nd wife both prior to the 2004 change.

Does this second wife (Pat) have any right to the money? Can she contest the policy? And what is the chances of her even winning?

Oh the Insurance Policy is from the Company his Dad was employed by here in Minnesota where we reside, not where she or his dad lived (Arizona) at the time of his death.

Any help would be appreciated. My husband has been through enough dealing with this -woman - You can't even imagine.

Thanks in Advance for any help.

PennyKWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">