• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

std approved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pooh1965

What is the name of your state? AZ.. applied for std thru disability ins carrier (erisa). was denied. appealed thru employer, and received award letter 1/8/2004. it has now been 30 days since i received the letter, however, still have not received the std check. how long does this normally take, and is there a time limit in which a std benefit must be sent? i called the std carrier and they advised me they have no knowledge of this claim being approved, since they denied the claim back in 2001. would this check be sent directly from the employer? the employer uses the disability company as the administering agent. thanks for any info...

Beth3

I don't know who issues your employer's STD payments as I don't know whether their STD plan is self-funded or fully insured. What I can tell you is that you should discuss your problem with whoever handles employee benefits where you work and see what they advise. If there's a problem with the carrier, then they should contact the plan administator/insurance company and work it out on your behalf.

P

pooh1965

re: reply to beth3....

hi. actually, i am no longer employed , due to disability, for the past two years. the STD was fully insured (payed by the employer --aka ERISA). the employer had the disability company administer the plan (they denied my claim and appeals). in my SPD it stated that if you disagreed with the disability insurance companys decision, you could appeal through the employer (which i did). the employer recently (jan 7 2004) granted the claim, of which i received the award letter aprox. 30 days ago, but have yet to see a benefit check. i called the disability insurance company friday, to inquire about the check due, and they advised me the only thing they are aware of , is that i was denied benefits. so, i am assuming the check must be coming from the employer's benefits administration committee, to whom i appealed, and was granted the award. should i expect this check sometime soon, or could this drag on for months? is there a time limit in which a disability check must be issued, once an claim has been approved? thanks...

Beth3

"should i expect this check sometime soon, or could this drag on for months?" I have absolutely no idea but it's clear the person you should be speaking is the benefits/HR manager (or whoever you dealt with previously) at your former employer's. Your former employer is the only one who can answer your question, which is "when will the check be cut?"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">