• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

STD and Workman's Comp.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

carischance

I had a work related injury on April 24th this year. Workman's Comp denied me. I used my insurance and short term disability. I had back surgery in June. I recently sued WC and won. They sent me a check for 6K for 6 weeks off. I have read threw my STD policy and there is no statement about me reimbursing STD/my company for the time off. However, my employer has written me stating that they request there compensation back. The only thing the policy says is quote "STD Policy benefits are permitted only for non-work related illness, injury or disability." That is what the employer wrote.
Do I by law have to return the money to the company/STD of there is nothing specifically stating in the policy about reimbursement? I don't want to be sued by the employer but I don't mind double dipping.
I feel I deserve it! Please help me!!!.
vr/
Cari

M

mrjb

I am an employer, so I'll answer this for you. When you were denied WC, you became eligible for STD payments. When you 'won' WC benefits, you became ineligible for the STD payments that you received. You must pay the STD benefits back or face collection or legal action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">