• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suicide and Social Security Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

truguy

What is the name of your state?
Georgia

Does a surviving spouse of a person who comitts suicide (assuming she is eligible in every other aspect) qualify to receive death benefits as a result of her spouses death? (Also assuming that he has earned enough points to qualify to recieve death benefits coverage) I have checked various SS websites, and they don't seem to address that issue. Does anyone here know for sure?

H

hmmbrdzz

I'm not an attorney, and I don't know the answer to your question, but it might be a good idea if the surviving spouse calls SS and/or the insurance company and speaks to someone directly about it. You can't get but so many answers by reading the information on their web pages. If the surviving spouse were to call them, though, and give them more details, they could probably provide some more clear-cut answers.

hmmbrdzz

ellencee

truguy
the answer to your question is yes--if the surviving spouse qualifies in all other aspects, the cause of death does not disqualify the spouse from benefits.

the information is on the web, ssa site.

Best wishes,
EC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">