• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why has my husband refused by life insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Star43

What is the name of your state? MA

Hello. I just want to know if anyone understands why a healthy 46 year old male can not get life insurance because he is on an antidepressant called Effexor? Should he get off the effexor? Should we sign on the insurance form that they cannot look into his medical records? All his bloodwork came back fine. There are thousands of people in this world with depression and are on antidepressants. Does this mean he is uninsurable? We have 2 kids, he is the major breadwinner, and I would like some coverage!! Any remedies or comments for this? He has just been refused by 2 companies. Thanks in advance.

ALawyer

First of all getting off the drug will NOT impact his insurablity for several years, and the fact that he has taken the drug is probably now on file with the Medical Information Bureau, as you undoubtedly consented to that when you signed the application forms.

Depression IS a serious illness, and insurance companies worry about the possibility of suicide or other adverse events. However, most insurance companies decision making processes are out of date, and it is FAR better to have a treated policyholder than one who is depressed but not treated.

That said, there are some companies that rate for these conditions and will issue policies, athough at much higher premiums. Go to a GOOD insurance broker and explain. It no longer is a do-it-yourself or Internet situation.

S

Star43

thank you for your reply

Thanks again, we will see what we can do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">