• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

10-year-old sues Mom's former bf, wants her dog back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
But why did they leave the dog?
According to the article, my question is even more specific -- why did they leave THAT dog and take another with them? And this has ruined the child's trust in ALL adults? I think someone is being dramatic. The child apparently needs counseling to learn to cope.

justalayman

According to the article, my question is even more specific -- why did they leave THAT dog and take another with them? And this has ruined the child's trust in ALL adults? I think someone is being dramatic. The child apparently needs counseling to learn to cope.
Come on now. How will we perpetuate the litigiousness of our society if we don't start 'em early. Heck, it may already be too late for this kid as they might have developed an attitude that a person needs to find a means of resolution without running off to the courthouse as soon as anything happens already. I mean, after all, she's 10 already.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Come on now. How will we perpetuate the litigiousness of our society if we don't start 'em early. Heck, it may already be too late for this kid as they might have developed an attitude that a person needs to find a means of resolution without running off to the courthouse as soon as anything happens already. I mean, after all, she's 10 already.
OH true. I should be FOR this so I can have job security in the future.

LdiJ

To be fair...that not really what the article said:

"This has made her not trust adults," Lenhoff said. "A big part of her innocence has been taken from her because of this. These are lessons that no child 10 years old should have to be learning."
After reading the article I think that the ex-boyfriend deserves a quick kick in the nether regions.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
To be fair...that not really what the article said:

After reading the article I think that the ex-boyfriend deserves a quick kick in the nether regions.
Based on what? What is his side of the story? The ex boyfriend was given the dog while child and mother took another animal with them. And it did say she was taught not to trust adults. Sorry but not trusting adults based on one incident? This child is going to be destroyed by the time she gets to high school.

Proserpina

I don't blame the kid here. I blame the obviously manipulative adult/s who let it go this far.

I mean really? What, are we going to see a 6 year old suing for IED because Daddy changed out her favourite sippy cup? Please. Someone is doing this child a grave disservice. OG is correct - this kid is going to be destroyed the first day of high school.

quincy

Based on what? What is his side of the story? The ex boyfriend was given the dog while child and mother took another animal with them. And it did say she was taught not to trust adults. Sorry but not trusting adults based on one incident? This child is going to be destroyed by the time she gets to high school.
The boyfriend says that the girl and her mom abandoned the dog when they left, and he has become attached to the poodle. The girl and her mom claim the boyfriend was only supposed to care for the dog until they could become settled elsewhere, upon which time he was to return the dog.

So much for job security, OG. I believe the ex-couple are trying to work the dog custody out amicably, outside of court (although, after it becomes a court matter, so much for the amicability ;)).

I think the lawsuit is more of a mom/boyfriend matter, with some residual anger being acted out at the expense of the child (and the dog). But that is just my take on it.

Proserpina

I think the lawsuit is more of a mom/boyfriend matter, with some residual anger being acted out at the expense of the child (and the dog). But that is just my take on it.

Absolutely.

This is not about a child. This is about two incredibly selfish and immature adults who apparently don't realize that their gross stupidity is actually harming a child. At least that's what I'm hoping - because if they actually DO realize and continue it anyway? THAT would be despicable, and not just stupid.

Silverplum

The one time we moved and could not bring our dog, I made a very serious business of finding just the perfect home for her.

I still smile, 20+ years later, thinking of just how perfect that home was: in the country, with a little boy in a cowboy hat, and a really nice Mom & Dad. I couldn't have done it otherwise.

Dogs are not to be left behind like velveteen rabbits. :(

LdiJ

I am sorry, but I think that any adult who tries to lay claim to a dog that clearly belongs to a child, that was a present from the child's grandma no less, deserves a kick in the behind. I don't care how attached I got to a dog, I would NEVER withhold that dog from a child. I sincerely doubt that anybody else here would do that either. No matter what differences we have had, I know all of you too well to ever believe that any one of you would do that.

Based on what the child herself said, no matter what was going on with the adults, the CHILD clearly expected to get her dog back. Also, I suspect that since it is a poodle its is likely registered, and likely registered in the name of the child, therefore the child probably HAD to be the named plaintiff.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">