• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

15 almost 16 year old son who wont attend school. wants to be emancipated at sixteen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paradiseyellow

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana
I have a fifteen year old son who will be sixteen in May. I have had problems him since he was little. He was diagnosed with bipolar a couple of years ago but most of his problem is he is defiant and does not like it when someone tells him no. He lies, smokes and won't do what he is told. Last November he was put in Ware a detention facility due to getting aggressive with me and cussing me out in front of three young children. He was haha being home-schooled for the first of the year but wouldn't do his work. So after he went to court to get out of ware he told the judge he would go back to public school. It's a fight every day to get him up to go. He has missed more than he has gone. He wants to be emancipated when he turns sixteen. Is that even possible? I hate to give up on my child but I am tired of fighting the :confused::(confused every freaking day. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana
I have a fifteen year old son who will be sixteen in May. I have had problems him since he was little. He was diagnosed with bipolar a couple of years ago but most of his problem is he is defiant and does not like it when someone tells him no. He lies, smokes and won't do what he is told. Last November he was put in Ware a detention facility due to getting aggressive with me and cussing me out in front of three young children. He was haha being home-schooled for the first of the year but wouldn't do his work. So after he went to court to get out of ware he told the judge he would go back to public school. It's a fight every day to get him up to go. He has missed more than he has gone. He wants to be emancipated when he turns sixteen. Is that even possible? I hate to give up on my child but I am tired of fighting the :confused::(confused every freaking day. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
is the other parent involved with the child?

based on your post, the child will not be emancipated. what CAN happen, is you can grant the state to be a ward of the child while you will be paying child support for the upkeep of the child.

emanicipation requires a job, a living residence NOT with family and/or friends. the child must be fully self supportive, self sufficient, and responsible. your son does not meet those conditions by a long shot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">