• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

15 year old wants to live with older brother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bvmomma

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa.

My boyfriend has just accepted a job in another state and my 15 year old does not want to move with us. He wants to stay living in Iowa so he doesn't have to change schools and wants to be able to graduate with his friends. What do I need to do to allow my oldest son to be responsible for his younger brother? He gets Hawk-I insurance so how do I maintain his health insurance? How do I give my oldest son the right to make a medical decision in an emergency situation? What do you do about income tax time? I am still going to financially support him but I need to know what all needs to be done and how to go about it. Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It would be a hell of a lot easier if you just told sonny boy to start packing.

Are you out of your mind? Even CONSIDERING leaving a 15 year old under the care of a 19 year old is one of the stupidest things I ever heard of.

CourtClerk

Are you out of your mind?
Obviously, yes.
Even CONSIDERING leaving a 15 year old under the care of a 19 year old is one of the stupidest things I ever heard of.
Which is higher on the list? Leaving the 15 year old in the care of a 19 year old or considering leaving your 15 year old because you want to go shack up in another state with your new boyfriend instead of parenting your child?

And I presume this Hawk-I insurance is some state funded insurance program we're all paying for, huh? Peachy. Another nominee for M.O.T.Y. :rolleyes:

LdiJ

Obviously, yes.

Which is higher on the list? Leaving the 15 year old in the care of a 19 year old or considering leaving your 15 year old because you want to go shack up in another state with your new boyfriend instead of parenting your child?

And I presume this Hawk-I insurance is some state funded insurance program we're all paying for, huh? Peachy. Another nominee for M.O.T.Y. :rolleyes:
I wouldn't leave a 19 year old either....:confused: Let alone the two of them.

I'm amazed at how many people seem to let their kids make the decisions, wow!

I had to move a LOT when I was a kid (military). I never went to one school for longer than 2 years, except highschool. When we had our last move between Jr. High & Highschool, I screamed to the high heavens to my parents. "It's not fair!", "I want to stay with my friends!", "why can't I live with my aunt & uncle or my best friend's family?", etc.

My parents told me flat out that until I turn 18, I had to stay under their roof, no ifs ands or buts. But they knew how attached I was to my friends, and how hard moving away is, so we made a deal. If I had good behavior & good grades during the school year, I could spend the whole summer back in my old neighborhood with my best friend (her parents offered).

When you're a teen, your friends mean the world to you. However, if I had been allowed to stay away from my parents at the ages of 14-17, I would have ended up a very wild child. It's too much freedom for teens. They want the freedom, yet they're not ready for it.

Having the summers allowed me to stay close to my friends, but I still had the "growing up" I *needed* from my parents. Why not try to make a compromise with your son that he can stay with his brother in the summer time? Best of both worlds :D Those summers were some of the best times in my life. Your 15 year old is still a child and needs your guidance in learning to be a responsible adult. Give him the structure that he needs. He'll appreciate it when he's older.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">