• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 and pregnant emancipation laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RachelF1008

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Dakota

I have a question for you guys. I'm 16 and pregnant, my parents dont want the father to have anything to do with the baby,but both him and i do. Is there any way to get emancipated in the condition im in without having their consent? They will most definently not sign the papers and give me permission. Also my parents are divorced so if that helps anything or not there ya go.
I just really need to get out of this house and go live with my boyfriend so he can actually have a part in his childs life. The only way he will with them in the picture is he will be paying child support(duh)and probably get minimul visitation with it. And me.
Please help me out,
RachelF1008

Isis1

I have a question for you guys. I'm 16 and pregnant, my parents dont want the father to have anything to do with the baby,but both him and i do. Is there any way to get emancipated in the condition im in without having their consent? They will most definently not sign the papers and give me permission. Also my parents are divorced so if that helps anything or not there ya go.
I just really need to get out of this house and go live with my boyfriend so he can actually have a part in his childs life. The only way he will with them in the picture is he will be paying child support(duh)and probably get minimul visitation with it. And me.
Please help me out,
RachelF1008
no, you will not be legally emancipated. even more so now that you are pregnant.

oddly enough, your parents have control over YOU, but not your baby. they can stop YOU from visiting with the boyfriend, but not the baby.

dad is well within his right to file to establish paternity, custody, visitation AND support. and if your mommy and daddy interfere with the court orders, the courts may just grant your "b/f" custody of the child.

i have to ask. how old is your "b/f"?

and for the love of god, please don't refer to your child as it.

Antigone*

Please help me out,
RachelF1008
This is not legally possible, it will never happen, so get it out of your head.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is a myth that pregnancy conveys legal emancipation. Pregnancy conveys medical emancipation, meaning that you, with the help of your doctor, can make your own decisions about your health care and that of your baby. In NO state does pregnancy convey legal emancipation, and in fact, when you got pregnant you just about guaranteed that you will not qualify for legal emancipation, period, as clearly you need more supervision, not less.

Under your state's laws there are no circumstances whatsoever under which you can be emancipated without your parent's knowledge and permission.

Gracie3787

Please help me out,
RachelF1008
As soon as the baby is born, file for CS and your BF should file for visitation. Once the court issues a visitation order your parents will not be able to prevent BF from seeing his child. However, until you are 18, they CAN stop BF
from seeing YOU.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">