• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 yr old wants to move out-of-state to friend's house with parents' permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeutralEnergy

Hi all,
I'm a 16-yr-old currently living in Massachusetts. A few years back, I moved from Texas to here and now, about to go into my junior year, I'm wanting to move out-of-state back to Texas, where a good friend's (9 years strong and going) parents are entirely open, and have been the past couple years, to me spending a year at their house. In the past, my parents have been entirely against this (and I can see why now, being that young), but my recent screw-up of my sophomore year (mostly due to seasonal depression, of which I've had a really bad case of ever since I moved from Texas) my parents are open to the idea. I know that this is possible- my question is, what would have to happen to get this done. I think a long time ago I read that my parents would have to give up guardianship and my friend's parents would have to assume it. Is there a way for my parents and my friend's parents to both be guardians? Otherwise, I'm pretty fuzzy on what would have to be done. I do appreciate anyone who reads this- Thank you!
Neutral

LdiJ

Hi all,
I'm a 16-yr-old currently living in Massachusetts. A few years back, I moved from Texas to here and now, about to go into my junior year, I'm wanting to move out-of-state back to Texas, where a good friend's (9 years strong and going) parents are entirely open, and have been the past couple years, to me spending a year at their house. In the past, my parents have been entirely against this (and I can see why now, being that young), but my recent screw-up of my sophomore year (mostly due to seasonal depression, of which I've had a really bad case of ever since I moved from Texas) my parents are open to the idea. I know that this is possible- my question is, what would have to happen to get this done. I think a long time ago I read that my parents would have to give up guardianship and my friend's parents would have to assume it. Is there a way for my parents and my friend's parents to both be guardians? Otherwise, I'm pretty fuzzy on what would have to be done. I do appreciate anyone who reads this- Thank you!
Neutral
It depends on what the school system requires in order for your friend's parents to enroll you in school. Some systems might accept a simple power of attorney, others might require guardianship and still others might require custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">