• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 year old and moving out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jshivery

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My question is, my daughter will be 18 in February. She is hell bent on moving out on her birthday. My husband and I are wondering, what, if any responsibility will we still have for her if she decides not to continue with school or if she gets in trouble. With her being still in high school, can we make her stay at home? We have tried, my mother, my mother in law, my cousin and everyone else under the sun have tried to talk her into staying. Let me make this clear that we are NOT pushing her out. We want her to stay to at least finish school, but if she decides to leave on her own, can we do anything to stop her or what do we need to do to make sure our asses are covered??

Help Please!

Thanks!

Silverplum

My question is, my daughter will be 18 in February. She is hell bent on moving out on her birthday. My husband and I are wondering, what, if any responsibility will we still have for her if she decides not to continue with school or if she gets in trouble. With her being still in high school, can we make her stay at home? We have tried, my mother, my mother in law, my cousin and everyone else under the sun have tried to talk her into staying. Let me make this clear that we are NOT pushing her out. We want her to stay to at least finish school, but if she decides to leave on her own, can we do anything to stop her or what do we need to do to make sure our asses are covered??

Help Please!

Thanks!
Does everyone just swear now, in their first meetings with strangers? Is "crass" cool? :rolleyes:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Help Please!

Thanks!
Don't let her move out and take your car. Tell her if she's mature enough to move out, she's mature enough to support herself, pay her own bills, etc.

(a) Age for entering into contracts.--Any individual 18 years of age and older shall have the right to enter into binding and legally enforceable contracts and the defense of minority shall not be available to such individuals.

(b) Age for suing and being sued.--Except where otherwise provided or prescribed by law, an individual 18 years of age and older shall be deemed an adult and may sue and be sued as such.

CREDIT(S)

1990, Dec. 19, P.L. 1240, No. 206, § 2, effective in 90 days.

HISTORICAL AND STATUTORY NOTES

Prior Laws:

1972, June 16, P.L. 472, No. 151, § 1 (73 P.S. § 2021).
1972, Dec. 6, P.L. 1404, No. 300, § 1 (11 P.S. § 1901).

23 Pa.C.S.A. § 5101, PA ST 23 Pa.C.S.A. § 5101

Current through Regular Session Act 2013-88, 91, 93 to 97, 99 to 103
http://weblinks.westlaw.com/result/default.aspx?cite=UUID%28N1A9DFE0034-2F11DA8A989-F4EECDB8638%29&db=1000262&findtype=VQ&fn=_top&pbc=DA010192&rlt=CLID_FQRLT2974914382021&rp=%2FSearch%2Fdefault.wl&rs=WEBL13.10&service=Find&spa=pac-1000&sr=TC&vr=2.0

http://sweetstevens.com/articles/documents/AgeofMajority.pdf

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The bottom line is that you cannot stop her from moving out, but you do not need to let her anything with her that she did not pay for, and you do not need to contribute one dime towards her future support. If she wants to be an adult, she can be an adult all on her own.

jshivery

thank you

I agree with everyone. My husband and I have made it very clear that we are no longer responsible for her and money wise, she will have to support herself. She doesn't seem fazed by this. She doesn't have a car, license, job or anything else. She is allowed to take her clothes, but other than that, she gets other stuff on her own. We seriously wish she would just stay to finish school, gosh she turns 18 on 2/27 and school is out the first week in June.

Thanks everyone for your replies I appreciate them and I will try not to use so many "bad" words next time!!

single317dad

I agree with everyone. My husband and I have made it very clear that we are no longer responsible for her and money wise, she will have to support herself. She doesn't seem fazed by this. She doesn't have a car, license, job or anything else. She is allowed to take her clothes, but other than that, she gets other stuff on her own. We seriously wish she would just stay to finish school, gosh she turns 18 on 2/27 and school is out the first week in June.

Thanks everyone for your replies I appreciate them and I will try not to use so many "bad" words next time!!
Why doesn't she have a license or a job? Those are things that parents generally help a child accomplish in order to prepare them to move out in the world on their own when they become an adult.

As far as keeping her around, I don't think I'd try too hard. Having an adult in the house, whom you can't control at all and doesn't want to be there, would be an exercise in futility.

carmens0592

If she really wanted to move out then let her. Let her feel the reality of life make her pay her bills and earn for herself a living. On the other side, as parent give your support to her instead of trying to stop her from doing what she wants but don't give her the impression that she can ask money from you guest whenever she needs it. Once she decided to move out, it means she's on her own. If ever she really needs you, she will be back and ask you help and then show her that you will always be there for her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">