• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

19 year old pregnant by a 15 year old ???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeselyns_mommy

I am in North Carolina...

My younger brother who is 15 got a girl pregnant that is 19 [[had just turned 19]]... his dad and stepmother basically told them that they should date and try to make things work. They had wanted that anyway. The sex was consensual as well. They have now been dating for 7 months, the baby is due in March. My brother has a learning disability and is now in his 4th year of middle school and may not pass this year due to lack of help from home. My husband and I do what we can and provide all of his needs for school supplies and sometimes clothes and food. My mother and his father have joint custody of him but he lives with neither of the 2, he currently lives with his fathers mother and has for atleast the last 3 1/2 years. Now my brother talks to his dad to tell him that he wants to marry his girlfriend and be there for his son, he wants to just try and get his ged when he turns 16 so that he can work and provide for his family. He basically just wants to step up and do the right thing. So up until now the father and stepmother have been supportive of the relationship, not my brother himself. My brother was basically told that it wasn't going to happen and the only time he would be allowed to go stay with the girlfriend to see and help raise his son is on the weekends. Naturally this hurt him, but he doesn't feel that they care about him anyway and has wanted to leave to live with us for a long time but hasnt known how to say it and has been afraid of his dad. Our mom on the other hand said that she would sign for him to get married and supports the fact that he wants to take responsibility for his actions. What are our options here and what are his rights? Sorry for such a long "topic" i didnt want to leave anything out! Please help me out here!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am in North Carolina...

My younger brother who is 15 got a girl pregnant that is 19 [[had just turned 19]]...

When did he turn 15 and when did she turn 19?

§ 14‑27.7A. Statutory rape or sexual offense of person who is 13, 14, or 15 years old.

(a) A defendant is guilty of a Class B1 felony if the defendant engages in vaginal intercourse or a sexual act with another person who is 13, 14, or 15 years old and the defendant is at least six years older than the person, except when the defendant is lawfully married to the person.

(b) A defendant is guilty of a Class C felony if the defendant engages in vaginal intercourse or a sexual act with another person who is 13, 14, or 15 years old and the defendant is more than four but less than six years older than the person, except when the defendant is lawfully married to the person.

his dad and stepmother basically told them that they should date and try to make things work. They had wanted that anyway. The sex was consensual as well.

Actually not. In NC he cannot consent to sex until 16. It doesn't matter if he said yes.

They have now been dating for 7 months, the baby is due in March. My brother has a learning disability and is now in his 4th year of middle school and may not pass this year due to lack of help from home.

Well he is not going to have a baby to raise.
My husband and I do what we can and provide all of his needs for school supplies and sometimes clothes and food. My mother and his father have joint custody of him but he lives with neither of the 2, he currently lives with his fathers mother and has for atleast the last 3 1/2 years.
So there is a lack of parenting.
Now my brother talks to his dad to tell him that he wants to marry his girlfriend and be there for his son, he wants to just try and get his ged when he turns 16 so that he can work and provide for his family. He basically just wants to step up and do the right thing.

Well he will have to financially support his child.

So up until now the father and stepmother have been supportive of the relationship, not my brother himself. My brother was basically told that it wasn't going to happen and the only time he would be allowed to go stay with the girlfriend to see and help raise his son is on the weekends.
That is their right to restrict him as to when he can see his girlfriend.

Naturally this hurt him, but he doesn't feel that they care about him anyway and has wanted to leave to live with us for a long time but hasnt known how to say it and has been afraid of his dad.
Oh lovely. Sorry but not going to happen without dad and mom's permission.

Our mom on the other hand said that she would sign for him to get married and supports the fact that he wants to take responsibility for his actions.
And your parents' judgment is something we should consider? YOUR BROTHER MAY HAVE BEEN RAPED! At best he was taken advantage of sexually. But that is okay because your parents approved and you seem to approve?

What are our options here and what are his rights? Sorry for such a long "topic" i didnt want to leave anything out! Please help me out here!
Depending on the ages he may have been raped and his rights will only be protected by someone who recognizes that and files a complaint with the police and CPS and let them figure it out. Your brother is NOT being protected by any adult you have mentioned actually. Your dad at least has decided to limit his exposure to this adult who has preyed upon him but that is akin to closing the barn door after the animals have all fled.

You want advice -- call both the police AND CPS and report your brother's situation so that some adult with sense can get involved and make sure your brother has not been sexually assaulted/raped and that someone can protect him from further assault.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">