• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st cousin marriages in Texas and pre- vs. post-nuptual agreements?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

texanforjustice

What is the name of your state? TX

What is the state law in Texas about the kinds of people you cannot marry?

Also, if you have a choice of getting either a pre-nuptual agreement or a post-nuptual agreement done, which would be better (in terms of timing, validity, future enforcement, etc.) in Texas?

Thank you.

Wolflmg

As far as I know no one can marry their first cousin, I think it has to be a 5th cousin.

I believe reasons, are their too close to being blood relatives, and years ago it was found out if 1st cousin have a child together, that sometimes that child may have problems medical wise, due to the reason of them being close blood relatives with similair DNA and stuff. I learned about this in highschool.

JETX

texanforjustice said:
What is the state law in Texas about the kinds of people you cannot marry?
According to Texas Family Code, other than age restriction, an applicant for a marriage license cannot be:
(A) an ancestor or descendant, by blood or adoption;
(B) a brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or by adoption;
(C) a parent's brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or by adoption; or
(D) a son or daughter of a brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or by adoption.

Also, if you have a choice of getting either a pre-nuptual agreement or a post-nuptual agreement done, which would be better (in terms of timing, validity, future enforcement, etc.) in Texas?
You don't have a choice.

rmet4nzkx

Wolflmg said:
That's just creepy....Oh well.
And there was Franklin and Eleanor

So yes according to Tx statute, you can marry a cousin, but not a brother/sister, Aunt/Uncle, Niece/Nephew, parent, child, grandparent, grandchild
There was a place in New Mexico where due to few residents, brother's married sisters and their children also married, eventually they brought in fresh blood, but in some towns everyone was related.

nextwife

rmet4nzkx said:
And there was Franklin and Eleanor

So yes according to Tx statute, you can marry a cousin, but not a brother/sister, Aunt/Uncle, Niece/Nephew, parent, child, grandparent, grandchild
There was a place in New Mexico where due to few residents, brother's married sisters and their children also married, eventually they brought in fresh blood, but in some towns everyone was related.
I thought that was Tennessee!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">