• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 months old baby first name change in NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cpatel76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Hi,

Can we change our two months old baby name without court process? Is She considered minor under one year? I saw somewhere that if baby name can be changed without court process if baby is under one year. Is it true?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Hi,

Can we change our two months old baby name without court process? Is She considered minor under one year? I saw somewhere that if baby name can be changed without court process if baby is under one year. Is it true?
Where did you "see" that???

A name change would involve a change to the BC and that can't happen without a petition to the courts. It should be a big deal if both PARENTS are in agreement.

cpatel76

thanks all for response. I saw name change process on courts website. It does not seem to be very straightforward it requires many forms to be completed.

Can it be done without lawyer?

Do you know how much generally family lawyer charge for this?

b.momma

I'm sure you need no lawyer as long as mother and father are in agrement. Just fill in the forms compleately, and pay whatever fees are associated. No big deal.

nextwife

WE changed our daughter's name, legally, at age 2 as part of her re-adoption process in local court, following international adoption in foreign court. We did the local court name change DIY, and it was very easy. If both parents are in agreement, it's may be possible to do an actual name change by a simple court process.

glunata

I don't believe you need to go to court. You have to call the Record Modification Unit at NJ Dept Of State in Trenton for "Questions regarding correcting your vital record". Check out this link: How to amend a record, including legal name changes, changes not including changes of name, NJ. I called them myself and they explained the procedures. It's all about how you word it. Don't say 'legal name change'. Say you need to correct a record. You can do that for babies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">