• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

21years and 5 kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ghn71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have just ended a 21 year relationship in which we had 5 children, currently 8-18 years of age. We were nevered married but lived as husband and wife and even stated so on legal documents. I also wore an engagement and wedding ring he gave me over 16 yers ago. What rights do I have since there is no common law in California?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have just ended a 21 year relationship in which we had 5 children, currently 8-18 years of age. We were nevered married but lived as husband and wife and even stated so on legal documents. I also wore an engagement and wedding ring he gave me over 16 yers ago. What rights do I have since there is no common law in California?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

You have the right to file for custody and child support.

Did you commit fraud?

sandyclaus

You have the right to file for custody and child support.

Did you commit fraud?
Common-law marriages in California ended in 1895. LOL, even 21 years is not long enough to get back that far.

Without a marriage, there is no divorce. Everything that YOU own is yours, and everything that your partner owns is theirs. Unless there is joint ownership in any property, assets, bank accounts, etc., then the person who owns it is not obligated to share it in any way.

And this is one reason why you should not be involved in such a long-term relationship and live together as if you are married when you're not. It complicates things when it comes to dividing up the proceeds from the relationship. Divorce may be messy, but at least the law provides for division of shared assets and property in a reasonable manner.

nextwife

I sure hope you've been working, accruing social security credits and retirement accounts in your own name! That's the wise thing to do, especially if one will be unable to have benefit of a spouses SS credits and retirement accruals.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hopefully you didn't file joint tax returns as married. If so you committed a federal crime each time you did so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">