• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 unmarried adults

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

3inapod

What is the name of your state? Ohio

In our house we have chosen to live the way we want to.
This way includes my best friend/boyfriend, girlfriend/wife of 7 years (We are not spiritual and never married, got together right after common law was repealed), and myself.

We sleep in the same bed share the house as any couple would, we just happen to be a couple of 3.

My Wife and I have 2 children, a 4 year old boy and a 1 year old girl.

Everything in the house is great.

So, whats the problem you ask?

The Mother in Law.

She tried to call the house today, we are having line trouble due to some late night thunderstorms. She got a busy signal (as do I when i call from my cell). Instead of calling either of the 4 cell phones in the house, she fires off an email to my wife.

The contents of which are here.
(Names changed)

Thank you so much for blocking my phones from your number. Now you have made me a liar to BOY and GIRL. You should have the MOTHER and FATHER of the year award for keeping your children safe from their grandmother.

You are a real case! I hope your swinging isn't interfering with the raising of my grandchildren because the next time there will be a call to the State regarding sleeping arrangements.

If you are keeping me from spening quality time with the kids because of what BOY will tell me don't worry, you can explain (may be lie) to him why I didn't show up today!
Note that she was supposed to come over and pick up the boy to go to the park today.
Instead of simply coming over she gets all upset.

So, after all of that I have one simple question.

Is there anything illegal about 3 people sleeping in the same bed?
I mean obviously we don't have orgies on the living room floor with the children watching cartoons.

We live like any normal couple, we just happen to be a couple of 3.

So are we doing anything illegal here that Mom in Law would have to call us on.

And please keep all personal feelings out of this, just stick to the facts.

If there are any questions I may have left out then please let me know so I can answer them.

Last edited:

ariastar

http://ohiovalleypoly.150m.com/ The Ohio Valley Polyamory Network

I've found nothing stating polyamory is illegal. Sounds like mommy-in-law isn't happy Sonny is not in a traditional relationship. Sonny needs to drop a set and tell her to butt out of his personal life.

FarmerJ

Ive personally known some folks who were in 3 person commited relationships, your best bet is to use the links to a atty up top and find a atty who is gay/ Bi/ lesbian friendly and arrange for a consultation. IT would also be a good time to perhaps talk to the atty about your wills as well.

3inapod

ariastar,
Sonny (myself) already told her to beat feet.
I personally don't care for the woman and think she is useless.
However in the interest of my children I make nice with her when she decides to come around and say hi.
Thanks for the link though.

FarmerJ,
Our wills are actually squared away as of the beginning of this year.
We did speak to him and since none of us are officially married (Though my wife and I want to simply for the legal purposes) he stated there is nothing illegal going on in the house.
He said when and if we decide to get married that the third person out, so to speak, would not have as many rights but that living wills could take care of that.
He was very helpful and upfront with us.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">