• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401K benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

april09

I live in Georgia.
My question is about 401k benefits.
Who is the beneficiary by default?
Suppose the spouse has his parents as beneficiary before marriage and forgets to update the record after marriage. Then in his demise who gets the benefits? Is it the spouse or the parents?

ShyCat

For all 401(k) plans, the spouse is always the beneficiary unless that spouse signs a waiver. So, in the scenario you described, the spouse would not have signed a waiver, so the beneficiary designation to the parents would no longer be valid, and the spouse would inherit.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Agreed. Under the law, the beneficiary of a 401k plan (assuming the employee is married) MUST be the spouse unless the spouse signs a written authorization agreeing that it be otherwise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">