• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

6yrs together, 2 kids, only common law marriage in Co but now in Wy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

christine28

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wyoming

Him and I have been together almost 6 years. We have 2 kids together ages 2 and 4. We have signed in the past common law paper work for the state of Colorado to be on insurance and things at his job. We now live in wyoming which I understand does not recognize common law marriages. I have been a stay at home mom for most of our relationship relying heavily on his income to raise the family. The situation at home has become unhappy and I am wanting to leave. But I need to know if there is anything that can be done more along the lines of a divorce or recieving some sort of spousal support and child custody/ support through the state of Wyoming even though they don't recognize the common law marriage...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wyoming

Him and I have been together almost 6 years. We have 2 kids together ages 2 and 4. We have signed in the past common law paper work for the state of Colorado to be on insurance and things at his job. We now live in wyoming which I understand does not recognize common law marriages. I have been a stay at home mom for most of our relationship relying heavily on his income to raise the family. The situation at home has become unhappy and I am wanting to leave. But I need to know if there is anything that can be done more along the lines of a divorce or recieving some sort of spousal support and child custody/ support through the state of Wyoming even though they don't recognize the common law marriage...
Wyoming will recognize a valid common-law marriage that is created in another state. Assuming your Colorado common-law marriage was, in fact, valid, then you are married and will need to get a divorce.

Banned_Princess

I wouldn't count on spousal support, but you can expect a split custody agreement, and child support, given that you are the residential parent. (if not, then you can expect to pay child support)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">