• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandonment Law for California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TLPH

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I live in California. What are abandonment laws for my state? My husband of 8 years "just left". My 17 y/o son came home and found my husband, his daughter and sister moving things out of our place. Both of our names are on the lease (for now). Rent/bills were all due in 4 days, All that he usually pays. We have a 7 y/o daughter together. He has 2 children from a previous marriage.:(
:eek:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I live in California. What are abandonment laws for my state? My husband of 8 years "just left". My 17 y/o son came home and found my husband, his daughter and sister moving things out of our place. Both of our names are on the lease (for now). Rent/bills were all due in 4 days, All that he usually pays. We have a 7 y/o daughter together. He has 2 children from a previous marriage.:(
:eek:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I'm not entirely sure what you're actually asking - are you asking if he can be penalized for leaving or if he can be forced to keep paying on household expenses? :confused:

CourtClerk

Do you have a joint account? If so, go pay the bills. Use YOUR money to pay the bills. He's allowed to leave.

TLPH

Yes, can be forced to keep paying on household expenses? And What are abandonment laws for my state? And How can I get emergency child support from him?

CourtClerk

Yes, can be forced to keep paying on household expenses?
He can be ordered to pay SOME of the household expenses, but if he's paying for all of YOUR expenses, how is he expected to keep up a home for himself?
And What are abandonment laws for my state?
Abandonment is for children, and he hasn't abandonded them.
And How can I get emergency child support from him?
You file for divorce. It'll cost you at least $355 to file the first piece of paper.

TLPH

Can i get him to pay for the devorce attorney expenses? With him suddenly out of the house,every penny goes to everything including the credit cards he ran up n my name.

TLPH

Can I remove my husband from my car insurance policy?

My husband and i are seperated for 3 months (no papers filed), he is currently letting another family member drive his car. That person has had several accidents that were all her fault. He is not helping me fiancially. Can i remove him and the car his is not driving from my insurance policy? Do I have to give him some kind of notice?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My husband and i are seperated for 3 months (no papers filed), he is currently letting another family member drive his car. That person has had several accidents that were all her fault. He is not helping me fiancially. Can i remove him and the car his is not driving from my insurance policy? Do I have to give him some kind of notice?
How is the car titled (are you on the title?)

pinkey14

By the way, legal abandonment applies to minors, and happens when a parent goes for a long period of time (2-7 years depending on the state)without making any attempt to contact the other parent or be involved in the child's life in any way. With your son being 17, you will never be able to pursue this charge.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
By the way, legal abandonment applies to minors, and happens when a parent goes for a long period of time (2-7 years depending on the state)without making any attempt to contact the other parent or be involved in the child's life in any way. With your son being 17, you will never be able to pursue this charge.
2 to 7 years? Really? Because in Ohio is none of those.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">