• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

About girlfriend’s child?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lone Wolf

What is the name of your state?Tennessee

I am a 49 year old male that currently lives in Michigan but plan on relocating to Tennessee in the next years I have a 33 year old girlfriend that has a 13 year old daughter. My girlfriend wants to move with me to Tennessee when I move. She will of course want to bring her daughter. My biggest fear is that the child will want to stay at home forever as many do today. I am going to be retired when I move and will be on a fixed income ($3020 per month before taxes). I don’t mind supporting the kid for a few years till she can get out on her own but I don’t want to support her for the rest of her life.
What if any obligations would I have to the child if my girlfriend and I don’t get married? I didn’t work and save for the last 30 years just have someone else burn through my investments. I do love my girlfriend very much and as I say don’t mind taking care of her just not the kid or worst yet if she were to become pregnant. My net worth is around $450,000. My girlfriend’s net worth is under $10,000. She did agree to a prenuptial agreement but that still doesn’t address the child. Before I move I need to find out what my options are.

thanks Lone Wolf

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You have no obligation to the child. However - Mom may not be able to remove the child from the current state w/o notifying her father, and possibly getting the permission of the court.

LdiJ

Lone Wolf said:
What is the name of your state?Tennessee

I am a 49 year old male that currently lives in Michigan but plan on relocating to Tennessee in the next years I have a 33 year old girlfriend that has a 13 year old daughter. My girlfriend wants to move with me to Tennessee when I move. She will of course want to bring her daughter. My biggest fear is that the child will want to stay at home forever as many do today. I am going to be retired when I move and will be on a fixed income ($3020 per month before taxes). I don’t mind supporting the kid for a few years till she can get out on her own but I don’t want to support her for the rest of her life.
What if any obligations would I have to the child if my girlfriend and I don’t get married? I didn’t work and save for the last 30 years just have someone else burn through my investments. I do love my girlfriend very much and as I say don’t mind taking care of her just not the kid or worst yet if she were to become pregnant. My net worth is around $450,000. My girlfriend’s net worth is under $10,000. She did agree to a prenuptial agreement but that still doesn’t address the child. Before I move I need to find out what my options are.

thanks Lone Wolf
You know...it really doesn't sound like you should be marrying someone with children...or who is able to have children. A woman your own age, whose children are grown and on their own would probably be a better match for you.

T

titansfan

find a childless woman

you wont have to pay anything for your gf's daughter-you have no legal rights to her at all, so your gf should not expect you to support her.like the others said, maybe you would be better off finding someone without kids, it doesnt sound like you like kids very much, if at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">