• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Add Fathers Name To Birth Certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JoC

What is the name of your state? Kansas
Paternity is not in question. Mother and Father were unmarried at the time of birth but have since been married 20 years. Mother was "not allowed" to enter Father's name at the time of birth by the hospital staff (assuming this was a mistake related to the parents being unwed). Child is now deceased and Mother wishes to add Father's name in it's rightful place. What steps need to be taken? How much time can she expect resolution of this matter to take?
Thank you in advance for your time and advice.What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

Talk to the bureaucrats in your state who issued the birth certificate in the first place.

There are procedures for doing what you want to do.

JoC

Thank you?

I was most sincere in my advance thanks for your time and advice. After all, advice is what I seek. Advice is what you claim to offer however, search as I may, I am unable to locate any advice in your reply.
The state is Kansas which is clearly provided in the first line of my post.
I asked what steps need to be taken and how long it might take to which you replied "Talk to the beaurocrats..." Are you kidding? Of course! Which ones?? Even Kansas is full of them, should I just drive to Topka and start asking around?
My apologies for the sarcasm. I was so excited to see such a quick response, and then so disappointed to actually read it. If you are unable to offer any advice, please just say so.
Sincerely, thank you again, for your time.

moburkes

I was most sincere in my advance thanks for your time and advice. After all, advice is what I seek. Advice is what you claim to offer however, search as I may, I am unable to locate any advice in your reply.
The state is Kansas which is clearly provided in the first line of my post.
I asked what steps need to be taken and how long it might take to which you replied "Talk to the beaurocrats..." Are you kidding? Of course! Which ones?? Even Kansas is full of them, should I just drive to Topka and start asking around?
My apologies for the sarcasm. I was so excited to see such a quick response, and then so disappointed to actually read it. If you are unable to offer any advice, please just say so.
Sincerely, thank you again, for your time.
He told you which bureaucrats: The ones who issued the birth certificate in the first place. In most states that is called the Department/Bureau of Vital Statistics.

JoC

A slight shift of the paradigm?

I'm sure the answer was quite obvious to you however, it was not to me, nor I fear would it have been to a good number of the laymen who visit this site.
Nowhere within - "the bureaucrats in your state who issued the birth certificate in the first place." was I able to find - "Department/Bureau of Vital Statistics."

I am completely on board with the fact that the advice offered is free and I should be grateful. I am certainly grateful for the second reply, it was very helpful. I would have been twice as grateful if I could have gotten the advice without the condescending attitude.

My apologies for the banter. I can't help it. It's one of my shortcomings and I take full ownership.

For what it's worth: Thank You again (really)

Peace

seniorjudge

I am not familiar with Kansas.

I try to avoid Kansas if at all possible.

So I thought maybe you could find out what is going on in Topeka by looking at the birth certificate you wanted amended.

Simple.

seniorjudge

Google found the cite to the site in 0.014 seconds; you should learn to use it...it is a great tool and I do not own stock in it!:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">