• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Add Middle name to Birth Certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andy9999

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My son has a middle name as "James" on his birth certificate mine does not but I took "James" as a confirmation name. I would like to add "James" to my birth certificate so he could be "Jr". My social security card has "J" on it for "James". Also, my birth certificate is from PA and moved to NJ after college. How can this be done and is it worth it since Social Security has me as "James" already?

Thanks,
Andy

CourtClerk

If you wish to change your name, you will need to do so by doing a legal name change where ever you live now.

andy9999

Would I need to hire a lawyer? Plus, Birth Certificate doesn't have James on it but Social Secuirty does? Anything I get from Social Security has "J" on it.

CourtClerk

Name changes are fairly easy. You don't necessarily need an attorney to do one.

Regardless of what your social security card has on it, your legal name is whatever is on your birth certificate. I don't even know how you got something on your SS card that doesn't appear on your birth certificate.

andy9999

Thank You!

So where do I go to the court house with Birth Certificate or look on web for NJ for paper work to fill out if there is anything online.

andy9999

Still never did this yet. How do I go about changing my middle name on my birth certificate? Do I go to the court house even though the birth certificate is from a different state. Thanks

justalayman

why not just change the child's to JJ Jamison JR. It does not have to be a factual statement.

you change you name in your state of residence. If you want to alter your BC, that is done in the state of your birth. You are changing your name so you do it in your state of residence.

andy9999

I want it to be legal so my son would be Jr with that said would I take my out of state birth certificate to the court house where I live?

justalayman

While he will be a junior, that is not part of his legal name unless you change his name as well.

for you:

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/10551_namechg_adult.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">