+ Reply to Thread
    andy9999 is offline Junior Member

Add Middle name to Birth Certificate

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My son has a middle name as "James" on his birth certificate mine does not but I took "James" as a confirmation name. I would like to add "James" to my birth certificate so he could be "Jr". My social security card has "J" on it for "James". Also, my birth certificate is from PA and moved to NJ after college. How can this be done and is it worth it since Social Security has me as "James" already?

Thanks,
    Andy
    CourtClerk is offline Senior Member
    Sitting at the computer probably rolling my eyes at your post
    If you wish to change your name, you will need to do so by doing a legal name change where ever you live now.
    Would I need to hire a lawyer? Plus, Birth Certificate doesn't have James on it but Social Secuirty does? Anything I get from Social Security has "J" on it.
    CourtClerk is offline Senior Member
    Sitting at the computer probably rolling my eyes at your post
    Name changes are fairly easy. You don't necessarily need an attorney to do one.

Regardless of what your social security card has on it, your legal name is whatever is on your birth certificate. I don't even know how you got something on your SS card that doesn't appear on your birth certificate.
    Thank You!

So where do I go to the court house with Birth Certificate or look on web for NJ for paper work to fill out if there is anything online.
    Still never did this yet. How do I go about changing my middle name on my birth certificate? Do I go to the court house even though the birth certificate is from a different state. Thanks
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    why not just change the child's to JJ Jamison JR. It does not have to be a factual statement.

you change you name in your state of residence. If you want to alter your BC, that is done in the state of your birth. You are changing your name so you do it in your state of residence.
    I want it to be legal so my son would be Jr with that said would I take my out of state birth certificate to the court house where I live?
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    While he will be a junior, that is not part of his legal name unless you change his name as well.

for you:

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/10551_namechg_adult.pdf
    Isis1 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andy9999 View Post
    I want it to be legal so my son would be Jr with that said would I take my out of state birth certificate to the court house where I live?
    Call the courthouse where you live and ask.