• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adding Father's Name to Birth Certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ptrcmcc6

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

How would I go about amending my older son's birth certificate to include his father's name on it in the state of New Jersey? We are not legally married but he is the father of both my children. His name is on the second child's birth certificate but at the time my first child was born, I put "father unknown" on the birth certificate. He was just approved for SSD and the woman there told me I could get an amended birth certificate so my older son would receive benefits also but not sure how to go about it. Do we need to go for DNA testing and all that first?

Thanx for any help in this matter.

Sincerely,

Ptrcmcc6

rmet4nzkx

Ptrcmcc6 said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

How would I go about amending my older son's birth certificate to include his father's name on it in the state of New Jersey? We are not legally married but he is the father of both my children. His name is on the second child's birth certificate but at the time my first child was born, I put "father unknown" on the birth certificate. He was just approved for SSD and the woman there told me I could get an amended birth certificate so my older son would receive benefits also but not sure how to go about it. Do we need to go for DNA testing and all that first?

Thanx for any help in this matter.

Sincerely,

Ptrcmcc6
Has he already signed an Acknowledgement of Paternity for both children or taken a DNA test and the court declared him the father of both children? If not, you will have to so that first to amend the BC and if you already have the AOP that should do for SSD.

rmet4nzkx

Ptrcmcc6 said:
New Jersey. How do you go about taking a paternity test?

Ptrcmcc6
You petition the court to order a DNA test to establish paternity or you arrange for a private DNA test that is certified for legal purposes.

Ptrcmcc6

Acknowledgment of Paternity

New Jersey. I guess he can't just sign an Acknowledgment of Paternity then? We have to go the paternity test route?

Ptrcmcc6

rmet4nzkx

It is possible but you will have to check with the social service dept for the proceedure of AOP for an older child, also be advised that since the putative father may recind his acknowledgement within 60 days, there may be a 60 day delay in benefits thta might not be the case with a legal DNA test where you could have the results within 2 weeks.

Ptrcmcc6

Acknowledgment of Paternity

Although I know his father will not recind his paternity acknowledgment, I think i will go the legal DNA route anyway. He's the one pushing me to do this. I'm sure for the state to change his BC records, they would want some kind of proof that he is, in fact, the father. This way, maybe I can fax the results to SSD and there will not be a delay in his benefits. I'm just surprised with all this talk you hear about Social Security running out by the time us "baby boomers" reach retirement age, they still pay benefits to the children of someone who is disabled. Not that I'm complaining though :D

Anyway, thanx for all your help. I truly appreciate it.

Ptrcmcc6

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">