• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adopted adult's rights to birth mother's estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

littleLeslie

My Birth Sister and Birth Brother contacted me about a year ago. I was delighted to finally meet them. We have been very close. My Birth Mother, however, is mentally ill and does not wish to meet me. She has a rather large estate. When she passes away, will my Birth Brother and Sister get everything (they were raised by her?). Am I entitled to anything (since I am her biological daughter)?:confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

littleLeslie said:
My Birth Sister and Birth Brother contacted me about a year ago. I was delighted to finally meet them. We have been very close. My Birth Mother, however, is mentally ill and does not wish to meet me. She has a rather large estate. When she passes away, will my Birth Brother and Sister get everything (they were raised by her?). Am I entitled to anything (since I am her biological daughter)?:confused:

My response:

Sorry, but no. The familial relationship was "cut" on the date your adoption became final. Under the law, your birth mother is a stranger to you, and her Estate has no responsibility to you - - unless she makes a specific bequest to you in her Will or, your birth siblings voluntarily wish to "share" with you - - but, again, there is no obligation for her Estate, or of the other biological members, to do anything for you.

You are only entitled to the Estate of your adoptive parents.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">