• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult childs rights with elderly parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marc

What is the name of your state? Florida

My father was recently in a car accident which caused another heart attack. Now 2 mos later he has had some mini strokes which have affected his memory and balance. He is still able to function OK but needs help walking and making food etc. Since his stroke he has gotten married to his girlfriend. He is 79 she is in her 50's. She has kept this secret. Also, he is still involved in settling with the insurance company. In talking with the insurance man the other day, he told me she requested he not talk to anyone but her about the case and she is not very forthcoming on any details when asked. My brothers and I are very concerned she may get the settlement and send the money overseas to her son. I just want to know what kind of rights I have as his son to get the insurance man to talk to me and what we can do to protect our father. Like if we can get the insurance settlement payable to my dad and myself, etc. She has only been his wife for 20 days.

moburkes

Marc said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

My father was recently in a car accident which caused another heart attack. Now 2 mos later he has had some mini strokes which have affected his memory and balance. He is still able to function OK but needs help walking and making food etc. Since his stroke he has gotten married to his girlfriend. He is 79 she is in her 50's. She has kept this secret. Also, he is still involved in settling with the insurance company. In talking with the insurance man the other day, he told me she requested he not talk to anyone but her about the case and she is not very forthcoming on any details when asked. My brothers and I are very concerned she may get the settlement and send the money overseas to her son. I just want to know what kind of rights I have as his son to get the insurance man to talk to me and what we can do to protect our father. Like if we can get the insurance settlement payable to my dad and myself, etc. She has only been his wife for 20 days.
If you are asking if a car insurance company will make a claim payable to anyone besides a body shop, dr/hospital, named insured, and lein holder, then the answer is no.

LdiJ

I agree with the other answer. However you may want to consult with an attorney who specializes in elder law. Your father may not have been competent to enter into a marriage.

acmb05

moburkes said:
If you are asking if a car insurance company will make a claim payable to anyone besides a body shop, dr/hospital, named insured, and lein holder, then the answer is no.

I think what the OP is getting at is if a settlement check comes to his father and she puts it in the bank she can then take it out if it is a joint account and send it to her son.

If that is the problem I am afraid you don't have much say in the matter. She is now his wife and as such would have access to the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">