• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adult guardianship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greyhoundlady

Maine is th name of my state.
My question has to do with a man that I have been living with for the past year.
I invited this 54 year old black man to live with me due to his lousy living conditions, he agreed to pay $50/week and do chores around the house to pay for his board. He has never paid any money but he overdoes the responsiblities in the house - I feel it is an even exchange. I found out a few weeks ago that he is legally the ward of his older brother, I was trying to get him assistance with a job becaue he can not read well or spell well and has other difficulties, his guardian has had very little contact with him in this last year, he has not supported him financially or emotionally. I have grown to care very deeply for this man and am considering making him my life partner but his brother (guardian) does not approve of people of another race (prejudice) and he does not speak to me or welcome me into his home.
Question 1 - should the guardian be paying for the wards expenses to live? I have been supporting this man since we started living together.
Question 2 - if we decide to marry, can his guardian stop us?
Question 3 - how can I remove the brother as guardian legally?
I appreciate any help as the guardian has been very negligent.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Maine is th name of my state.
My question has to do with a man that I have been living with for the past year.
I invited this 54 year old black man to live with me due to his lousy living conditions, he agreed to pay $50/week and do chores around the house to pay for his board. He has never paid any money but he overdoes the responsiblities in the house - I feel it is an even exchange. I found out a few weeks ago that he is legally the ward of his older brother, I was trying to get him assistance with a job becaue he can not read well or spell well and has other difficulties, his guardian has had very little contact with him in this last year, he has not supported him financially or emotionally. I have grown to care very deeply for this man and am considering making him my life partner but his brother (guardian) does not approve of people of another race (prejudice) and he does not speak to me or welcome me into his home.
Question 1 - should the guardian be paying for the wards expenses to live? I have been supporting this man since we started living together.
Question 2 - if we decide to marry, can his guardian stop us?
Question 3 - how can I remove the brother as guardian legally?
I appreciate any help as the guardian has been very negligent.
Yes, his guardian can stop you from marrying. He might be able to get the guardianship removed if he is competent to care for himself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">