• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

as an adult, how do remove myself from missing person's list?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sarah2010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

I was living with certain family members who accused me of having a substance abuse problem and have attempted several interventions in the past. I am a fully capable functioning single adult, so instead of continuing to fruitlessly deal with these individuals I simply moved to a different location. Although I informed them I was moving (although I wold not tell them where) ,it has come to my attention that I have now been placed on a missing person's list.

Questions:
1) how to I get off this list without letting those who placed me on it know my new location? The posting has a number to contact the local authorities in my previous location since I assume that is who the post was filed with. Do I need to contact that particular law enforcement agency to get removed from the list. Since I come from a small town, I would definitely not rather go back there. Or can I just contact any law enforcement agency and get myself removed from the list?

2) I am assuming I will need to make an actual physical appearance

3) What if I just ignore this. I have not used my ID or credit card since moving, but I what would happen if I did? Would law enforcement come looking for me to question me or would I actually be arrested!?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I just do not want these annoying people back in my everyday life again.

Thanks

anearthw

This is not an uncommon occurrence in missing person's reports.

You can do a few things-
1) Call the department in the location you were reported missing and ask for the investigating officer, talk to them, and let them know you are doing fine but do not wish your location to be disclosed to those who reported you.
2) Go into a local police department (along with your ID) and let them know the same. Different departments have different procedures.

You are free to use your ID and credit as you wish. Please let the police know ASAP so they do not continue to waste missing person's resources on trying to locate you, who knows what stories your family has told them, they may feel you are in immediate danger and are putting a lot of time into locating you.

Being a "missing person" does NOT mean you will be arrested. It only means that people wish for you to be located. It is not a warrant.

"Don't want to be found" is not the same as missing. And quite honestly, even if you were a drug addict or whatever, that does not really matter - as an adult, you have the right to 'disappear' from family and have no further contact.

As I said, this is actually very common, so just call the investigating officer and speak to them. You are certainly not the first "missing" person who just doesn't want to be contacted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">