• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advise on same sex relationship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sunshine22222

Hi all, I am the one left behind(she found someone new) in a 16 year same sex relationship.
She has worked in Iraq for the last 4 years, making about 180,000 a year.
She has totally supported me for the last 3 and 1/2 years, due to a disability.
I need to know if I have any recourse on gaining continued money's support?
I live in Oklahoma.
Any advise, thank you so much in advance!!

ecmst12

Sadly, no, you have no legal recourse, unless by some chance you had a domestic partnership agreement.

Proserpina

Hi all, I am the one left behind(she found someone new) in a 16 year same sex relationship.
She has worked in Iraq for the last 4 years, making about 180,000 a year.
She has totally supported me for the last 3 and 1/2 years, due to a disability.
I need to know if I have any recourse on gaining continued money's support?
I live in Oklahoma.
Any advise, thank you so much in advance!!
You can also apply for SSI/SSDI for your disability.

Sunshine22222

Wow I am so surprised that spending 16 years together means nothing.
I didn't want to apply for SSI, because I hate the burden on the system, when my spouse or ex spouse makes so much money.

Proserpina

Wow I am so surprised that spending 16 years together means nothing.
I didn't want to apply for SSI, because I hate the burden on the system, when my spouse or ex spouse makes so much money.
Don't let your hurt get in the way of common sense - if you qualify for disability it would be just plain foolish not to pursue that avenue.

ecmst12

Until same sex marriage is legalized, that's the way it is. Spending 16 years with someone that you have no legally binding contract with (marriage or domestic partnership or any other kind of contract) does not entitle you to anything, regardless of the genders of the people in the relationship.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just to be clear, if you were in a 16 year opposite sex relationship, the answers would be exactly the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">