• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Affidavit of marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

breenalee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I have just been informed that the man I am dating has filed an affidavit in the state of LA claiming I am his wife. Is this legal/possible? If so, how can I find out about it?

Proserpina

I have just been informed that the man I am dating has filed an affidavit in the state of LA claiming I am his wife. Is this legal/possible? If so, how can I find out about it?
I'm assuming you're not his wife?

Do you know why he filed this affidavit? And to whom?

dad43

i did my best to figure out what it meant. and it's hard to explain what it actually said, or understand it. the best i got was for alot of other states, and it's more or less a paper saying your common law married...but TMK the FEW states that even still recognize that, ask you to have something similar to a marriage license./certificate notarized...i'm probably wrong on that, but just conjecture i've heard from other people in real life....

on a second search, i found this site...and it does not list LA as a state that recognizes CLM's...

\http://www.unmarried.org/common-law-marriage-fact-sheet.html

Last edited:

LdiJ

More detail is going to be necessary in order to advise you. What is the actually story on the affidavit?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">