• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After a divorce are in-laws still in-laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eTechWV

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WV

I thought I had read somewhere once that even after a divorce, my sister-in-law would still be considered my sister-in-law by the law. I was hoping to find a passage to state that, or object it if at all possible.

Several years back when I had read it, I wasn't searching for that topic, but just ran across it. Now, it might have been just an internet site that didn't properly cite the law. But the site seemed to have cited its references. Since I wasn't researching that topic back then, I just skimmed over it and let it be.

Now, my brother has divorced and his ex-wife has a boyfriend that took offense to me calling her my sister-in-law, so I thought I would try to locate something and I haven't been able to find anything this time.

Thanks ahead of time for any and all help that anyone has to offer.

TerryWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WV

I thought I had read somewhere once that even after a divorce, my sister-in-law would still be considered my sister-in-law by the law. I was hoping to find a passage to state that, or object it if at all possible.

Several years back when I had read it, I wasn't searching for that topic, but just ran across it. Now, it might have been just an internet site that didn't properly cite the law. But the site seemed to have cited its references. Since I wasn't researching that topic back then, I just skimmed over it and let it be.

Now, my brother has divorced and his ex-wife has a boyfriend that took offense to me calling her my sister-in-law, so I thought I would try to locate something and I haven't been able to find anything this time.

Thanks ahead of time for any and all help that anyone has to offer.

TerryWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
the divorce cut legal ties between you and your ex's family.

so your ex sister in law, is a legal stranger.

i'm going to guess the reason you can't find anything is because there is no law.

if you want to refer to her as your sister in law, that's a preference. if she doesn't mind, and you don't mind.....new boyfriend can shove it. he sounds like a winner. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">