• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

age child can be left home alone?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ccarter

MISSOURI

Is there a legal age for a child to be left home alone? If there is what is it, and are there situations that they take into consideration? Child's age, maturity, time left...etc.

rkelley

Home Alone Children Legal Age Limits

There are very few states in the U.S. with legal minimum ages, but many state agencies have published guidelines (NH, Illiniois, Maryland and Oregon are a few of the states with very specific ages). Typically 8 year olds and over can be left at home for up to several hours (usually after school before a parent gets home from work).

12 years old appears to be the most common recommendation. http://www.latchkey-kids.com/latchkey-kids-age-limits.htm provides a state by state comparison.

LdiJ

There are very few states in the U.S. with legal minimum ages, but many state agencies have published guidelines (NH, Illiniois, Maryland and Oregon are a few of the states with very specific ages). Typically 8 year olds and over can be left at home for up to several hours (usually after school before a parent gets home from work).

12 years old appears to be the most common recommendation. http://www.latchkey-kids.com/latchkey-kids-age-limits.htm provides a state by state comparison.
That's an interesting website but the information listed there for my state is wrong...so I don't know for how many other states the information might also be wrong.

las365

The original post in this thread is 6 1/2 years old!

Welcome to the forum, rkelley! It's a good idea to look at posts' dates before responding.

rkelley

Missing Point?????

No, I don't think I missed the point. LdiJ posted the following statement:

"That's an interesting website but the information listed there for my state is wrong...so I don't know for how many other states the information might also be wrong."

My question was to him (not the original poster or to anyone else here, for that matter). He didn't list the state that had the wrong information, nor what the correct age was.

I really don't think I need to begin another thread to ask this question.

Thank you.

Last edited:

ErinGoBragh

Yes, you do. You posted to a 6 1/2 year old post ! OP is LONG gone!

Start your own thread if you have a legal question!

LdiJ probably didn't notice the date. Seniors generally do not respond to necroposters if they see the date.

Last edited:

rkelley

Get Over It!

Your point about posting to an old question was taken and acknowledged several posts back. But your persistent labeling and demeaning responses reflect an arrogant self-righteousness. How do you know if the senior won't respond?. (It's OK for a senior to miss the original posting date, but not for a new member who you persist to label a necroposter).

You can have the last word here (as I'm sure you will), but I find your responses to be unhelpful!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">