• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

age child can make decision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ladywblues

In the state of Wisconsin, at what age can a child say that he no longer wishes to visit his father? I have physical placement, and we have joint custody. My son does not wish to visit his father, and I am getting berated from the ex because I do not force him to go.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ladywblues said:
In the state of Wisconsin, at what age can a child say that he no longer wishes to visit his father? I have physical placement, and we have joint custody. My son does not wish to visit his father, and I am getting berated from the ex because I do not force him to go.
My response:

It doesn't matter what age your child is before "he" can decide. You see, right now, there is an order for visitation. If you feel that the visitation is detrimental to your son, then it is up to you to re-petition the court for a change in the visitation orders, along with your son's testimony concerning his reasons for not wanting to see his father. Rarely are these types of petitions granted.

Until that time, however, you could be held in Contempt of Court for "Interference with Visitation." Literally, it is up to you, as the Custodial Parent, to push your son out the door to see his Dad.

Courts are very guarded of the rights of visitation for both parents, and will do whatever it takes to maintain a relationship for both parent and child - - of course, except where there is a drastic situation going on that would amount to a "change in circumstances".

So, I would suggest, in the strongest of terms, that you do whatever is humanly possible to foster, and maintain, good visitation cooperation from your son with his father, and to continually encourage your son. Unless you do so, you are potentially in Contempt of Court, and your son's lack of willingness will be read as your failure - - giving your ex grounds, perhaps, for a change in the custody arrangements. Of course, that too is rare, but repeated Contempt of Court hearings could wind up with this result.

Good luck to all of you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">