• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age of Consent in Indiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BrigitteCora

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Indiana

I hope someone can help. My son is 19 (12-23-84) and is currently dating a 15 year old who will be 16 on January 2, 2005. Her parents are aware of my son's age and are supportive of their relationship as am I. They are always supervised and have not (to the best of our knowledge) engaged in sexual intercourse as we have explained the consequences of this. My son recently joined the U.S. Army and is currently in basic training. My question is this: once my son's girlfriend turns 16 years of age (which is the age of consent in Indiana) would there be consequences if they should decide to engage in sexual intercourse? Also, my son recently wrote me from basic training and said that his drill sargeant told him that he could get kicked out of the army for being involved with a 15 year old. Is this true and if so, will this change once she turns 16?

Thanks for your help,

Brigitte Cora

BelizeBreeze

once my son's girlfriend turns 16 years of age (which is the age of consent in Indiana) would there be consequences if they should decide to engage in sexual intercourse?
Of course, she could get pregnant, she could enjoy it so much she becomes a nymphomaniac or she could turn frigid and begin liking women.

Also, my son recently wrote me from basic training and said that his drill sargeant told him that he could get kicked out of the army for being involved with a 15 year old.
Yes, because regardless of your or the girl's 'permission', it's still a crime (if they have engaged in sex). So, tell sonny boy to keep it in his pants a few more months. Then have a ball.

Is this true and if so, will this change once she turns 16?
You better believe it. Ever hear the expression "Don't come a knockin' if the trailer's a rockin'????

B

BrigitteCora

Thanks for your reply, BelizeBreeze. I do appreciate it.

B

BrigitteCora

Drew,

Thank you for your reply.

My son just graduated from high school in June of 2004. Since his birthday is late in December, he started school late and that is why he didn't graduate until he was 19. He met his g/f while he was a senior in high school and she was a freshman.

No, I do not have a problem with the age difference because I know them both very well and they are both good kids. They know the consequences of their actions and they are always supervised when together by myself or her parents.

My son is currently in basic training in the Army working towards his MP training. I am extremely proud of him and support this relationship.

As for whether this is the "norm" in Indiana, I have no idea. I know I was 15 when I met my son's dad (who was 19) and it wasn't such a big deal. But I know times have changed and that was in Michigan, so that question I cannot answer.

Again, thanks for your reply.

Sincerely,

Brigitte A. Cora
Proud Mom of a soldier

B

BrigitteCora

Thanks for your reply, Audster.

I'm assuming you are from Indiana?

Sincerely,

Brigitte A. Cora

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">