• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age of Majority Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tlcva

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My teenager has a friend that has asked to move in with us until he finishes high school. He will be 18 years old in a few days and has a rough home life.

I need some advice please. Can he move out of his house without incurring any legal issues? If he moves in with us, are there any legal problems for us?

Thank you

ecmst12

Once he's 18, he can do what he wants. The only legal problems you might run up against is when you want him to move out, you will have to treat him like a tenant and give him written notice to move, followed by a court case - you won't be able to just change the locks.

tlcva

Thank you. His mother has some anger issues and I was concerned that she would call the police or try to take us to court, if we help her son.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">