• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age to move to Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paula1186

Texas. hello i would really need help. i want to know all that i need and all that is legal and not legal for moving to Austin, Texas with someone that would be almost 20 and me almost 17, living alone with him, with no parents. i am not an american citizen.

Wolflmg

paula1186 said:
Texas. hello i would really need help. i want to know all that i need and all that is legal and not legal for moving to Austin, Texas with someone that would be almost 20 and me almost 17, living alone with him, with no parents. i am not an american citizen.
If your parents don't know and don't give their concent then it is not legal. If they call the police, your 20 year old firend would get in big trouble for harbering a runaway.

paula1186

but....

my parents will know and are ok with it. but it wont matter if its a guy that im living with that my parents know and all??

Wolflmg

I'm just a little concerned though, your english isn't too good, so I'm guessing you recently moved here to the states.
How long have you known this guy?
Can he be trusted?
What is your relationship with him?
Why are your parents okay with it?
How long before your 17?

I just want to be making sure that this guy wont be talking advantage of you. I'm just afraid that once he done with you, that he may throw you on the street.

paula1186

I am mexican, i live in Mexico right now i will go next year to New Zealand and when i come back it will only be a few months before i turn 17. This guy is my current boyfriend here in Mexico, he is from Texas and i know him enough, my parents trust him and we all know his family very well and my parents are ok with it because he has been my boyfriend for some time now and they really trust him, i just dont know if its legal to be dating someone that is 19 and me being 17 in the states.

AHA

paula1186 said:
I am mexican, i live in Mexico right now i will go next year to New Zealand and when i come back it will only be a few months before i turn 17. This guy is my current boyfriend here in Mexico, he is from Texas and i know him enough, my parents trust him and we all know his family very well and my parents are ok with it because he has been my boyfriend for some time now and they really trust him, i just dont know if its legal to be dating someone that is 19 and me being 17 in the states.
First of all, you can't just move to the US whenever you feel like it. You need a visa for that, which will take months and months. And to get that visa you will need to be interviewed and your fiance has to show proof that he earns above a certain level of income to support you. There might also be age limits to get a visa, ie you might need to be 18 to even be eligible to apply. You have a lot of researching to do before even considering packing your bags.

paula1186

i already have a visa, this is not my first or my tenth time in U.S, i have been there alot, and i will just be "living" there for some months. he is not my fiancee he is just my boyfriend. all i want to know is if it is legal to have a boyfriend that is over 18 and me being under 18 because i heard that is was not and that you could get arrested.

AHA

paula1186 said:
i already have a visa, this is not my first or my tenth time in U.S, i have been there alot, and i will just be "living" there for some months. he is not my fiancee he is just my boyfriend. all i want to know is if it is legal to have a boyfriend that is over 18 and me being under 18 because i heard that is was not and that you could get arrested.
Exactly what visa DO you have? A multiple entry tourist visa will not allow you to move to the US, have work authorisation, get SSN, drivers license etc etc etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">