• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

alienation of affection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

littlebit

I am in the process of moving to NC from FL. My husband of 26 years had an affair last spring. We are probably separating, and I would like to explore the option of suing this woman and her husband. Most of the relationship was over the internet, but they have know each other since they were children. She lives in Danville, VA. Their one and only meeting took place in a motel in Eden, NC. I have the emails from her showing that she changed the relationship from friendship to something else, then her husband waited for 6 weeks after the affair ended, and sent me copies of my husband's emails to his wife. Between the two of them, they have totally ruined my life. My husband was my best friend, my lover, the father of my children, and now I can barely stand to look at him. I am disabled, and this has affected my financial future, the stability of my children, and my sanity. I am now on major antidepressants, medicine for panic attacks, and my daughter is also in therapy. Do I have any recourse against the woman who caused this deliberately, and her husband who maliciously sent the em ails long after the affair ended? This would take place in NC, since this is where the meeting in the motel took place. Thank you for your assistance.

MySonsMom

I don't believe Florida recognizes alienation of affection in couples.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

L

littlebit

The action would take place in North Carolina, which does recognize alienation of affection.

LegalBeagle

littlebit said:
The action would take place in North Carolina, which does recognize alienation of affection.
I think you would have a hard time showing a court they have jurisdiction when neither party lived in NC at the time. Just because you are moving to NC, does not mean you can use their law to your own advantage. Sorry, but this action would have to be processed in FL which does not recognise AOA.. Also, I am not sure you would have a case anyway as it was only 1 meeting. Your best approach would be to retain a family law attorney and crush your husband during the divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">