• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

alienation of affections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drsarad

I am located in Mississippi. My exhusband has just sued me for 2.5 million for alienation of affections, stating I have alienated him from his sons ages 17 and 13. My ex has not visited the children in the past few years and of course has not paid child support. I am trying to collect the cs and have a court date set for late Jan. I am having trouble finding past cases where alienation of affections has been used in a parent/child situation. Has anyone ever heard of a case like this?

Last edited:

E

erev46

You might ask this question in the civil law area. I expect this has been done.
Under family law I expect the best one could hope for is a change of custody but, I really don't know. I do know that some states have statute's, rules and regulations covering custoadial parents interference with the non-custodial parents right or ability to maintain a meaningful relationship with children but again I believe the best that can be expected is a change of custody.
Sounds like your ex wants to use this filing as a way to avoid arrearage payments.
I would be interested in knowing what the outcome is. Any feed back would be appreciated, [email protected]

Sorry I can't be more helpful,

Thanks

Last edited:
D

drsarad

Thanks for your reply, I will post in civil law although the suit was filed in chancery court. I have also been told to try researching this at findlaw.com. Have you ever used this resources or have advice for additional places to look without having to go to each state codes sites? I'll keep you posted!

LegalBeagle

Is he using an attorney? Also, define 'sued'.. you mean he won in court or just filed the papers?

The big question is, have you ever denied him access and does he have proof of this?

D

drsarad

The case is complicated, been in court without a final judgment since 1998. In Oct 1998 he filed a suit for custody of my oldest son (13 at the time). My son went to court and told the judge he didn't want to live w/dad. The judge ordered psy evaluation and the ex refused to go, but never dropped suit, just never filed for another hearing. The ex got mad and stopped visiting the boys (current ages 17 and 13). He had no contact with the boys for over a year but still paid CS. In 1999 stopped paying CS and called the boys and ask them if they wanted to visit, they said no. The phone conversation was with the boys not me. My attorney told his attorney I was not denying visitation, if wanted to visit do so (we live 5 hours away and he is responsible for visitation driving). He never exercised his visitation. The day before spring break 2000 he called and told the boys he wanted visitation, they had already made plans for spring break and told him they would visit some other time but not on such short notice after no visitation for 2 yr. His attorney filed a amendment to the last suit that had never been set for trial and alleged I was interfering with visitation. We had a hearing and the boys talked to the judge, I never saw the judge. The judge ordered visitation. It was a nightmare, he got mad at my oldest boy and physically hit him threw him around, my youngest called 911 and he didn't try to exercise visitation again. The judge ordered psy evaluation for all 4 of us. The court appointed counselor filed a report of PAS against me in Feb 2001. The boys have been in counseling w/our private therapist for several years on an as need bases. He strongly believes the PAS is a crock. THe judge appointed a GAL and ordered more visitation after 1 visit the GAL stopped visitation until my ex agrees to counseling w/boys and some supervised visitation until the counselor said visitation was OK. The judge ordered a commitment evaluation of my oldest, of course the evaluation showed my sone was health, but should not be forces to visit father without joint counseling for the boys and dad first. He refused counseling, at the last hearing in April he ask for continuance to prepare a parental termination order. And last week I got this amendment for alienation of affection and asking for 2.5 million in damages. Sorry so long.

tigger22472

I'd call the mental hospital in his state and see if he can't be admitted. I thought before reading this I might have a chance of my ex not being away for long periods of time then coming back and causing havoc. I hope you have documented as much as you could over the years. If you have proof of things I don't think you have much to worry about. On top of that your sons are old enough to talk to the judge and back you up.

D

drsarad

Thanks for your support! I have a thick stack of files documenting everything and the boys will back it all up if needed. I just hate to put them back through the court thing again. However, I would love to collect the past due CS and medical expenses from the past several years. I had liens on his property filed through Ms DHS and the MS Supreme Court ruled DHS couldn't get involved in a case if your weren't receiving financial assistance. My ex's attorney used this to have the liens removed and he sold the property without having to pay the CS. The MS Supreme Court rules on 12/20/01 that DHS does have the right to be involved in child support enforcement w/out the parent being on financial support. But he has already sold the property now! I have found several cases in other states where alienation of affection has been proven and awarded. I have found one case in NY where the courts refused to hear PAS as evidence, but I can't figure out how to assess the case. It is People v. Michael Fortin. THe citation I found was just a mention from the New YorK Law Journal March 27, 2000. If anyone has assess to this case file please let me know how to assess online. Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

The PEOPLE of the State of New York, Plaintiff,
v.
Michael FORTIN, Defendant.
March 14, 2000.

Defendant was charged with sodomy, attempted rape, endangering the welfare of a child, and sexual abuse, based on alleged incident involving 13-year-old niece of defendant's wife. Defendant sought to introduce expert testimony based on psychological theory of Parental Alienation Syndrome (PAS), in which one parent programs a child into a campaign of denigration directed against the other parent, to support his assertion position that victim had lied and fabricated alleged incident due to surrounding circumstances and interfamilial discord. The County Court, Nassau County, Paul E. Kowtna, J., held that PAS was not shown to be a theory generally accepted in the scientific community, as required for expert testimony based on PAS to be admissible.
So ordered.

West Headnotes

[1] KeyCite Notes

110 Criminal Law
110XVII Evidence
110XVII(R) Opinion Evidence
110k468 Subjects of Expert Testimony
110k469.2 k. Discretion. Most Cited Cases

Admissibility and bounds of expert testimony are addressed primarily to the sound discretion of the trial court.

[2] KeyCite Notes

110 Criminal Law
110XVII Evidence
110k469 k. In General. Most Cited Cases

In making determination regarding admissibility and bounds of expert testimony, court must consider whether the expert's opinion is based on a theory or technique generally accepted in the scientific community, the need of the jurors for specialized information, and the relevance of the expert's opinion to the issue in the case.

[3] KeyCite Notes

110 Criminal Law
110XVII Evidence
110k482 Examination of Experts
110k486 Facts Forming Basis of Opinion
110k486(4) k. Sources of Data. Most Cited Cases

110 Criminal Law
110XVII Evidence
110k488 k. Experiments and Results Thereof. Most Cited Cases

Expert testimony based on a specific scientific principle or procedure is admissible after a principle or procedure has gained general acceptance in its specified field.

[4] KeyCite Notes

110 Criminal Law
110XVII Evidence
110k486(4) k. Sources of Data. Most Cited Cases

110 Criminal Law
110XVII Evidence
110k488 k. Experiments and Results Thereof. Most Cited Cases

It is sufficient to allow admission of expert testimony based on scientific principles if the expert can state with a reasonable degree of certainty his opinion that the principle or procedure has gained general acceptance in its specified field.

[5] KeyCite Notes

110 Criminal Law
110XVII Evidence
110k474.3 Credibility, Veracity, or Competency
110k474.3(1) k. In General. Most Cited Cases

Where expert witness is called to assess credibility, higher standard of "conclusive results," rather than general acceptance, is required for expert testimony based on scientific principles to be admissible.

[6] KeyCite Notes

110 Criminal Law
110XVII Evidence
110k486(2) k. Necessity and Sufficiency. Most Cited Cases

It is incumbent upon the proponent of expert scientific testimony to lay a proper foundation establishing that the processes and methods employed by expert in formulating his or her opinions adhere to accepted standards of reliability within the field; such reliability can be established if general acceptance of processes and methods is so notorious that the court may take judicial notice, or by reference to legal writings and opinions.

[7] KeyCite Notes

110 Criminal Law
110XVII Evidence
110k474.4 Character Traits or Profiles; Syndromes
110k474.4(1) k. In General. Most Cited Cases

Psychological theory of Parental Alienation Syndrome (PAS), in which one parent programs a child into a campaign of denigration directed against the other parent, was not shown to be a theory generally accepted in the scientific community, and thus, expert testimony based on PAS was not admissible to support defense position that victim had lied and fabricated alleged incident, due to surrounding circumstances and interfamilial discord, in prosecution of defendant for commission of sex crimes against his wife's 13- year-old niece.
**612 *10 Frederick Bennett, Melville, and Thomas F. Liotti and Christopher W. Zeh, Garden City, for defendant.
Denis E. Dillon, District Attorney of Nassau County, Mineola (Fred B. Klein of counsel), for plaintiff.

PAUL E. KOWTNA, J.
This case involves an indictment charging the defendant with Sodomy in the First Degree, Sodomy in the Second Degree, Attempted Rape in the First Degree, Attempted Rape in the *11 Second Degree, Endangering the Welfare of a Child, and Sexual Abuse in the First Degree arising out of an alleged incident between the defendant and a 13-year-old girl who is the defendant's wife's niece.
The defense has sought to introduce testimony as part of its case regarding a psychological syndrome called Parental Alienation Syndrome. Since Parental Alienation Syndrome has never been the subject of a Frye hearing in New York State, a Frye hearing was requested by the District Attorney and consented to by the defense. At the hearing the defense called one witness to describe Parental Alienation Syndrome (hereinafter called "PAS"). This witness called by the defense was Dr. Richard Gardner, a psychiatrist who has been a pioneer in writing about and discussing the syndrome in question.
Since there was a considerable delay between the occurrence of the acts set forth in the indictment and a report being made to the police, PAS is being offered to support the defense position that because of surrounding circumstances and inter-familial discord the victim lied and fabricated this alleged incident of rape with respect to the defendant.

THE FACTS
Dr. Richard Gardner testified at the hearing that he is a physician who graduated from Downstate Medical School in 1956 and who has special training in child psychology. For a period of more than forty years Dr. Gardner has been a psychiatrist and has served as an unpaid professor at Columbia Medical School in addition to being a visiting lecturer in locations as remote as Denmark and Russia. Dr. Gardner's practice initially consisted of 95% therapeutic work with a relatively small percentage of forensic work. Over the years that percentage has changed and at present his therapeutic work actively takes approximately one to two percent of his time and the remainder of his time and income are accounted for by forensic analysis and testimony.

[SEE NEXT PAGE]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

[CONTINUATION]

Dr. Gardner is also a widely published author. He has written approximately 43 books which have been published, and all but one of those which have been printed since 1978 have been published and marketed through his own corporation, Creative Therapeutics. Creative Therapeutics also markets videotapes and other aids for persons involved in the area of child psychology.
Dr. Gardner has testified in many cases. He first began testifying in military courts during his service with the United *12 States Army in 1960 through 1962. He has testified in civilian courts on matters involving child psychology. Since the early 1980s Dr. Gardner has increasingly testified regarding a syndrome which he has written about called Parental Alienation Syndrome. In his testimony, Dr. Gardner described PAS as follows: "The programming of the child by one parent, into a campaign of denigration directed against the other. And the second component is the child's own contributions that dovetail and complement the contributions of the programming parent. It's this combination **613 of both factors that warrants the term parental alienation syndrome." (Transcript of Hearing, page 76.) By Dr. Gardner's own testimony he has testified in hundreds of cases but only once in Georgia was a criminal case involved. Dr. Gardner was unable to give any of the specifics of the time, place or circumstances in which the testimony was given in Georgia.
PAS was further described by Dr. Gardner as not being confined to conduct initiated between one parent and another. Dr. Gardner testified that other persons in addition to immediate family members may be involved in conduct which involves the syndrome. In addition, the Court has been cited to a number of articles including an article entitled The Parental Alienation Syndrome: A Dangerous Aura Of Reliability, which appears in Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review, Volume 27, page 1367, which reviews the current state of literature regarding PAS and concludes that the syndrome has not been accepted by experts in the field. Dr. Gardner admitted on cross-examination to having written the following statements in his books:
1) "Psychodynamic psychiatry, to an even greater extent, psychoanalysis, is probably the most speculative of all the alleged scientific disciplines. In fact, it is reasonable to say that it is much more an art than a science. We spin off the most fantastic explanations for human behavior and often come to believe our own delusions." (Transcript of Hearing at page 390.)
2) "Although the concept of scientific proof may be of importance in such fields as chemistry, physics and biology, the concept is not as applicable in the field of psychology; especially with regard to issues being dealt with in such areas as child custody disputes, and sex abuse accusations." (Transcript of Hearing, page 396.)
3) "The problem is that the courts cannot wait the twenty-five years or more that it would take to conduct such studies, and provide solid verification of refutation in the scientific *13 literature. Neither can people who have been accused of sex abuse wait for these results. Courtrooms need guidelines now, and these protocols, I believe, can help serve this need." (Transcript of Hearing, page 402.)

THE LAW
[1] [2] The admissibility and bounds of expert testimony are addressed primarily to the sound discretion of the trial court. People v. Cronin, 60 N.Y.2d 430, 470 N.Y.S.2d 110, 458 N.E.2d 351 (1983); People v. Mooney, 76 N.Y.2d 827, 560 N.Y.S.2d 115, 559 N.E.2d 1274 (1990). In making such determination, the court must consider three factors, i.e., whether the expert's opinion is based on a theory or technique generally accepted in the scientific community, People v. Wesley, 83 N.Y.2d 417, 611 N.Y.S.2d 97, 633 N.E.2d 451 (1994), the need of the jurors for specialized information, People v. Cronin, supra, and the relevance of the expert's opinion to the issue in the case, People v. Allweiss, 48 N.Y.2d 40, 421 N.Y.S.2d 341, 396 N.E.2d 735 (1979). See also, People v. Wernick, 89 N.Y.2d 111, 651 N.Y.S.2d 392 (1996).
[3] [4] [5] Initially, this court shall consider whether the witness' theories have been generally accepted in the scientific community. The long- recognized rule of Frye v. United States, 54 D.C.App. 46, 293 F. 1013 (D.C.Cir.1923) is that expert testimony based on scientific principles or procedures is admissible but only after a principle or procedure has "gained general acceptance" in its specified field. People v. Wesley, supra. "It is sufficient if the expert can state his opinion with a reasonable degree of certainty (see, e.g., Matter of Miller v. National Cabinet Co., 8 N.Y.2d 277, 204 N.Y.S.2d 129, 168 N.E.2d 811)." People v. Allweiss, supra, at 50, 421 N.Y.S.2d 341, 396 N.E.2d 735. A higher standard of "conclusive results" is applicable when the expert is called to assess credibility. People v. Allweiss, supra, at 50, 421 N.Y.S.2d 341, 396 N.E.2d 735, citing **614 People v. Williams, 6 N.Y.2d 18, 187 N.Y.S.2d 750, 159 N.E.2d 549.
[6] [7] It is incumbent upon the proponent of expert testimony to lay a proper foundation establishing that the processes and methods employed by the expert in formulating his or her opinions adhere to accepted standards of reliability within the field. People v. Wilson, 133 A.D.2d 179, 518 N.Y.S.2d 690 (2d Dept 1987). This reliability can be established in two ways. The first would be that the general acceptance would be so notorious that the court could take judicial notice. The second is that the acceptance could be established by reference to legal writings and opinions. See generally, Prince, Richardson on Evidence § 7-311, at 476 (Farrell 11th ed.). The defense cites this Court to the cases of McCoy v. State of Wyoming, 886 P.2d 252 (1994), State of Ohio v. Koelling, 1995 WL 125933, 1995 Ohio App. LEXIS 1056 (Ohio Ct.App., March 21, 1995, Petree, J.), and In the Matter of Krebsbach v. Gallagher, 181 A.D.2d 363, 587 N.Y.S.2d 346 (2nd Dept. 1992), *14 in which cases testimony was admitted regarding Parental Alienation Syndrome. On the other hand, the prosecution cites the Court to the New York case People v. Loomis, 172 Misc.2d 265, 658 N.Y.S.2d 787 (Cty. Ct. Suff. Cty. 1997) which specifically rejected PAS, as well as additional cases including Tungate v. Commonwealth, 901 S.W.2d 41 (Ky.1995); cf. Floray v. State, 720 A.2d 1132 (Del.1998); Page v. Zordan, 564 So.2d 500 (Dist. Ct. of App. Fla.); In the Interest of T.M.W., 553 So.2d 260, 262 n. 3 (Dist. Ct. of App. Fla.1989). In the light of no clear consensus permitting PAS testimony in New York State, this Court conducted a hearing at which the defendant had the opportunity to establish admissibility by offering evidence of general acceptance, including the testimony of Dr. Gardner, the leading expert in the field.
In examining this testimony, the Court is not only guided by the opinion in Frye, supra, but also by the more recent case of People v. Wesley, supra. In that case, the Court of Appeals examined the admissibility of DNA evidence. In her concurring opinion, Chief Justice Kaye noted (at pg. 437, note 4, 611 N.Y.S.2d 97, 633 N.E.2d 451) that "t is not for a court to take pioneering risks on promising new scientific techniques, because premature admission both prejudices litigants and short-circuits debate necessary to determination of the accuracy of a technique."
Based upon the testimony at the hearing, this Court finds that the defendant has not established general acceptance of Parental Alienation Syndrome within the professional community which would provide a foundation for its admission at trial.

D

drsarad

Thanks! This is what I was looking for. FYI I just got an email from a MS State Representative that is writing a bill to deal with the recent MS Supreme Court ruling on DHS Child Support Enforcement. He has asked me to assist in writing the legislation and testify concerning my situation. I think these "Good Ole Boys" in MS are tried of hearing from me!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">