• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AM I legally married

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bbeck1212

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.

We got married in the Caymen Islands, and when they sent us our marriage license it didnt have our names spelled correctly. Is it legal, and is there somewhere I can find out if im married? I wan to go get a marriage license for a new relationship but want to know if im still married to my ex and need to file for divorce first..... PLEASE help! And if I am married can I file for divorce online?

las365

The safest course of action would be to get a divorce before you remarry.

How long was your marriage to Caymens hubby? Do you have children or own real property (a house or other land) together?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

We got married in the Caymen Islands, and when they sent us our marriage license it didnt have our names spelled correctly. Is it legal, and is there somewhere I can find out if im married? I wan to go get a marriage license for a new relationship but want to know if im still married to my ex and need to file for divorce first..... PLEASE help! And if I am married can I file for divorce online?
You need a divorce. And while you might be able to file for divorce you would still need to go to court. Plan on not getting remarried for at least six months.

texasguy79

I have divorced in Texas. Tarrant County Texas requires waiting 60 calander days from the date you file the original petition before you can request a court date. On the 61st day you can request one, and then after the court date, if you are granted the divorce, you have to wait an additional 30 days to remarry within the state of Texas.

Im not sure if you can file for divorce online, but if you are doing the divorce Pro Se, then you can get the required paperwork online. I filed for divorce by mail, by means of a notary public. Legalzoom.com [https://www.legalzoom.com/legal-divorce/divorce-overview.html] claims you can file for divorce online through them. Personally thats a matter I would want to attend in person.

If your Ex is willing to divorce, then you just have your Ex sign a waiver of service, and the divorce decree in front of a notary. That way your Ex doesnt even have to show up to court, but you will have to. My uncontested divorce took 5 minutes of my time in the courtroom. Luckily I was first in line.

There are tons of oline forms premade to where all you do is fill in your name and your ex's name and such, and print it out. I had also gotten a Marital Agreement for my ex to sign.

Some things also depend on your County. I know there are differences between Tarrant and Dallas counties, so its safe to assume the rest of the counties have thier own differences. So check your county.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">