• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ksdouglas22

Georgia.

In January of 2015, there was marriage ceremony between the father of my children and I. The marriage certificate was never filed with the court. I actually have it in my possession. Am I legally married? I'm asking because I recently left him and intend to move out of state.

Silverplum

Georgia.

In January of 2015, there was marriage ceremony between the father of my children and I. The marriage certificate was never filed with the court. I actually have it in my possession. Am I legally married? I'm asking because I recently left him and intend to move out of state.
Call your county court and ask: http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/georgia/

As an aside, you will likely have problems if you plan to remove your mutual children from the area when you leave him and move out of state. :cool:

single317dad

Georgia.

Where did you get the marriage certificate?

LdiJ

Georgia.

Marriage certificates are not filed with the courts, they are filed with whatever government agency handles marriage certificates in your state.

Marriage certificates normally are not in the possession of one of the people who got married...unless its a copy or duplicate. Normally the person who conducts the ceremony files the original with the appropriate state agency.

Who conducted your marriage ceremony?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">