• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I married, or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mfd310

I was married in Texas 4 years ago. In 1999 we found out that my husband had never been divorced. His estranged spouse then filed for divorce in Arkansas. We moved to Tennessee (and still live there) before the divorce was final. Now the divorce is final and we are still together and present ourselves as married. My question...to be considered legally married, do we have to get married again? Or does our original marriage still stand as valid?

LegalBeagle

mfd310 said:
I was married in Texas 4 years ago. In 1999 we found out that my husband had never been divorced. His estranged spouse then filed for divorce in Arkansas. We moved to Tennessee (and still live there) before the divorce was final. Now the divorce is final and we are still together and present ourselves as married. My question...to be considered legally married, do we have to get married again? Or does our original marriage still stand as valid?
You original marriage is null.. he was already married.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">