• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helenr1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My husband co-signed student loans for his daughters (From a previous marriage). They haven't paid a cent and left the burden to us. Am I anyway responsible for this if anything should happen to him that he could not pay? God forbid death but if he were to lose his job or become unable to work? I would like to know all scenerio's. Thanks.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My husband co-signed student loans for his daughters (From a previous marriage). They haven't paid a cent and left the burden to us. Am I anyway responsible for this if anything should happen to him that he could not pay? God forbid death but if he were to lose his job or become unable to work? I would like to know all scenerio's. Thanks.
YOU yourself, no. But if you own property with him or have a joint account or file taxes together you can be impacted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">