• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yamaha_mamma

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My now ex-boyfriend of 7 yrs decided to move out on July 17th. When he left he stated that I could have everything in the house and his van that I have been driving for over a year. He came back 3 times to collect his personal belongings, and when he was finished, he gave me the house keys & his key to the van.

We spoke on Aug 2nd, at the time I told him to come get everything that he paif for in my house and the van. He once again stated that he didn't want them and I needed them. We have yet to transfer the title into my name.

Now that things are getting ugly, his parents are stepping in. They are taking out a home equity loan to pay off his credit card debt. They want me to pay $100/month for 3.5 yrs in exchange for the title of the van.

None of the credit cards have my name on the account. I was a additional cardholder on 2 of them, but have made no purchases in close to a year on one and can't tell you how long on the other. Some of the cards do have major purchases, like furniture and appliances, that he purchased for used in out home. Others have car repairs.

My questions are: 1) am I legally responsible for paying any of his debt? 2) can they come into my home and take anything? 3) could the items (including the van) be considered gifts, since he told me he wanted me to have them and has not tried up to this point to retrieve them. 4) could he sue me?

I am a single mother of 3 (not his) working 37.5 hrs a week @ $8/hr. I can't afford to pay his parents $100/month.

WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My now ex-boyfriend of 7 yrs decided to move out on July 17th. When he left he stated that I could have everything in the house and his van that I have been driving for over a year. He came back 3 times to collect his personal belongings, and when he was finished, he gave me the house keys & his key to the van.

We spoke on Aug 2nd, at the time I told him to come get everything that he paif for in my house and the van. He once again stated that he didn't want them and I needed them. We have yet to transfer the title into my name.

Now that things are getting ugly, his parents are stepping in. They are taking out a home equity loan to pay off his credit card debt. They want me to pay $100/month for 3.5 yrs in exchange for the title of the van.

None of the credit cards have my name on the account. I was a additional cardholder on 2 of them, but have made no purchases in close to a year on one and can't tell you how long on the other. Some of the cards do have major purchases, like furniture and appliances, that he purchased for used in out home. Others have car repairs.

My questions are: 1) am I legally responsible for paying any of his debt? 2) can they come into my home and take anything? 3) could the items (including the van) be considered gifts, since he told me he wanted me to have them and has not tried up to this point to retrieve them. 4) could he sue me?

I am a single mother of 3 (not his) working 37.5 hrs a week @ $8/hr. I can't afford to pay his parents $100/month.

WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?
I am going to answer this here anyway, because I think its a more appropriate forum for the question.

You are in no way responsible for his credit card debt.

If you do not have the title to the van, and he allows his parents to control what happens to the title, you may be sol on the van.

If you have the title, and he stated that he was giving it to you, then his parents are sol on the van.

Change the locks on your home so that no one can enter without your permission.

yamaha_mamma

I have tried to get the title since we split before it got ugly, but they kept puting it off. I have yet to hear anything from him directly. Everything up to this point has come from his parents.

As for the locks, he gave me his keys. I'm not too concerned about him getting in, because enough of my neighbors know he no longer lives here, and I told them if they see him trying to get in through a window to call the police.

Thanks

LdiJ

I have tried to get the title since we split before it got ugly, but they kept puting it off. I have yet to hear anything from him directly. Everything up to this point has come from his parents.

As for the locks, he gave me his keys. I'm not too concerned about him getting in, because enough of my neighbors know he no longer lives here, and I told them if they see him trying to get in through a window to call the police.

Thanks
Then you may be sol on the van.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">